View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

I'll have to partially couter-disagree with GameGal. I hope we're not confusing the OP too much!

Sprouted grains, in the end, are still grains, and they add a lot of unnecessary carbohydrates to the diet. True, they have some additional enzymes that assist with digestion, but beyond that they don't bring much to the table.

The mainstream concerns about fat in the diet have to do with heart disease. As arteries get damaged, the body blocks the leaks with cholesterol, a kind of temporary glue that holds the artery shut. If not enough protein is consumed, the artery cannot repair itself in time, and the leak tears again, and the body fills it in with even more cholesterol, decreasing the diameter of the artery even further. If this continues over time, the artery can become completely blocked. It's true that certain kinds of fat can increase blood cholesterol, but chronic high cholesterol is merely a symptom, not the underlying cause.

The root cause of arterial damage is inflammation. During inflammation, the arteries momentarily harden and become more susceptible to tears. This inflammation can be caused both by infection, as well as high blood glucose. If we can reduce any cause of inflammation, we can reduce the number of vascular tears, the resulting cholesterol plugs, and thus, heart disease. This is pretty much the biochemical basis for the low-carb diet.

In the absence of inflammation, then, it doesn't matter how much fat we eat. Fat has to be looked at through a completely different lens. Regardless of your diet type, the fate of all dietary fat is to end up inside a cell somewhere, where the intracellular machinery can transform individual free fatty acids into hormones called prostaglandins. Saturated and W-3 fatty acids are changed into prostaglandins that reduce inflammation. Conversely, W-6 fatty acids are transformed into pro-inflammatory prostaglandins. Incidentally, W-6 acids are found in very large amounts in canola oil, corn oil, and other vegetable oils. This is why we primal/paleo low-carbers avoid them. Any excess cholesterol is mopped up by the fiber in our vegetables.

Hope this clears up your concerns, GameGal.

Finally, brown rice will spike your sugar just as much as white rice. You only get the benefit of added minerals and better taste with the brown.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).

Last edited by tandoorichicken; 06-24-2010 at 01:21 AM.
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote