Community
Notices

Fell off the wagon...again

Old 06-17-2010, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Fell off the wagon...again

The last week has been spent eating anything and everything I craved. Nothing was entered into my Fitday log. I was camping and gave myself a free pass. I was at a work BBQ and had a free pass there too. Same thing at a family outing. Now I'm paying for it...as of today I'm 3 pounds heavier than I was at my last weigh-in 6 days ago. Three pounds in six days!! I'm feeling pretty bad about myself right now. I thought I was past all of this, I was doing so well. I'm ready to start again, but I have another BBQ to attend on Saturday, and another full day out on Sunday with my sister and her kids. I need some encouragement, I don't want to dig myself into a hole I can't get out of!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

It's okay!!! You can get back on track!!! Don't forget that a lot of that 3 lbs is probably water weight. Drink lots of water, start eating healthy and exercising today (don't wait until tomorrow! You're here, and that counts as motivation, so start right now!), and keep your chin up! When you're feeling bad, it's easy to forget that you have worked hard and you have lost weight, so keep reminding yourself of that, too!

As for this weekend, remember how you feel right now and use that as motivation to help you make the right choices this time around. Do the best you can even if it isn't perfect, and remember to have fun! It's not all or nothing, which is something I have to remind myself often when I fall off the wagon.

You can do it! Don't give up! Have a good week and a fun weekend. =)
Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

Hi avelina,

I TOTALLY feel you!! Every time I attended a BBQ over the past weeks I fell off the wagon and completely blew it... As much as I love being outdoors and enjoying a BBQ with friends, I'm quite pleased that there are no BBQs coming up... so...that doesn't make me sound very competent, does it?? Anyways, there are a few things that I will try in the future and that I would recommend to you:

1. Bring your own food!! Go for a piece of chicken instead of pork cutlet or steak.

2. Give grilled vegetables a try; e.g tomatoes, peppers, zuccini, onions, mushrooms etc.

3. Grilled fish and king prawns taste very jummy when grilled, too!

4. Try to stay away from beer and pretty much any alcoholic beverages.

5. Indulge in salads!!

6. I usually tend to continue eating when I'm already full, just because everything tastes so nice. Go for small portion sizes, so that you can try a little bit of everything.

7. Have bread instead of breadrolls.

8. Drink your own iced tea, instead of processed Iced Tea. (my recipe: Chinese green tea with Jasmine blossoms, 1 whole lemon, sliced; sweetener - tastes really great!!)

9. Stop eating once you are full!!

Hope this helps a little! Stay strong, you can do it!

Last edited by MollySue2; 06-17-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 AM
FitDay Member

I've said what I'm about to say (again) in a previous thread, so if you've read this before, please just bear with me and fast forward past it.

avelina...I agree with what everyone here is saying...get back on the healthy living lifestyle ASAP and that some of that is water retention (bbq isn't known for being low sodium) And I'm not advocating doing it all the time.. Now with that being said, I'm going to approach this from a different angle....

Stop beating yourself up. It sounds to me like you had a fantastic time with family and friends and isn't that what life is all about? Those 3 pounds will disappear fairly quickly but those memories you'll have for a lifetime. A year from now, you are not going to sit down with friends and say "remember when we went camping and I gained 3 pounds" instead, you're going to talk about all the fun you had.

What's done is done...Don't beat yourself up...Get back on track...Enjoy the memories.

Look on the bright side...you indulged the cravings now they should be out of the way for awhile.

Last edited by dizzy_44; 06-17-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed...you can always work off whatever it was that you gained, and it sounds like you had a really fun time. Nothing is permanent, and you jumped back on board really quickly, so good for you!

A few days ago I came to the realization that the cycle of slip-compensate-slip-compensate is a lot more realistic than trying to be on point all the time. If you are in a situation where you might indulge, try considering the concept of calorie cycling, or zig-zagging. This explains it: Calorie Cycling Diet - How to Cycle Your Calorie. This site can nail down the specific calories for you: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm.

I usually do this and save the high calorie days for when I know I'm going out to eat or be at functions or celebrations. When you know ahead of time, you can have a few light days or increase your exercise in order to get some calorie credits "in the bank," so to speak.

Hang in there! You are definitely not in the hole too deep, and you know what to do to get back out .
Old 06-17-2010, 12:30 PM
FitDay Member

question for those zig-zaggers...does the calorie restriction on the days you do it interfere with your energy/ability to get through workouts or are you ravenously hungry on those days? That's my concern...that if I restrict a little for a day or two knowing I'll overeat a bit at a BBQ over the weekend, I'm afraid I'll be so so so ravenously hungry that once I do get to that bbq, I'll REALLY pig out because I feel so deprived. Or that my workouts will be affected from the lessening in energy.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it really is but I'm just curious to know how you feel on days you're restricting a little.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM
FitDay Member

Avelina, ditto what everyone here has told you. Don't beat yourself up! It's not about falling off the wagon, it's ALL ABOUT getting back on. This is a lifestyle. If you feel that you were compulsively overeating for emotional reasons, it would be a great idea for you to journal your feelings before you go out. Just sit down with a notebook and write without thinking, without worrying, a sort of brain drain. It works for me!

Another thing that helps me a lot and I know this may sound irrelevant, but I have to plan my outfit the night before. Maybe this does not apply to you but when I go out for a BBQ or a party, I have to know what I am wearing so that I don't have to experience the emotional roller coaster of trying different things on, getting disappointed about how things fit, throwing articles of clothing on the floor and rummaging for something I might look decent in, not liking that option etc etc. This process can reduce me to tears. Then I arrive at the party emotionally vulnerable, or feeling self-conscious and am likely to overeat. It helps me so much to just put on a pre-planned outfit and go.

Also, Avelina, for goodness' sake you just completed the Couch To 5k program!!!!! You have to celebrate your victories and let them overpower this very human detour your experienced for the past few days. You never wavered in your fitness program and I think that is pretty amazing.

Lastly, you have this support network now. You do not have to stay off track because there are people here who know exactly what you are feeling and can motivate you. That's why we are all here. This is a valuable tool, and you already used it wisely by posting this thread. To me, that is total progress!

Last edited by mtlgirl; 06-17-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

To answer your question, wannabefitgirl, I don't notice fatigue or hunger much now that I am at maintenance, but when I was on losing, I didn't get fatigued or tired, but the mental hurdle of low calories was kinda tough for that one lowest day a week. If it had been several days in a row at that level, though, I might've noticed its effects. When I plugged in my numbers on the site, one of my days per week had me at 1078 or 1054 or something like that, so the trick was to get my brain distracted from that number. I usually tried to do that on a day when I knew I would be busy, out of the house, didn't have to cook dinner for one reason or another, and basically grazed all day as opposed to meals. I got up on those days and loaded everything into FitDay ahead of time so I had a plan. Plus I would tell myself that the next day would be a 1600/1700 calorie day and try to motivate myself that way. I usually made that my "rest" day for workouts, too, or just did something light.

Avelina, that's awesome that you just completed the C25K!! That is truly and accomplishment; pat on the back to you .
Old 06-17-2010, 01:50 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much everyone. I know you know what this is like so I value all the input I get from you guys. I am going to stop beating myself up as of right now. I am going to plan what I eat at the BBQ on Saturday. I know I'll go over on my calories but I'm going to eat lighter on Friday and today (already doing better today!). I'm not going to make Sunday about the food, I'm going to make it about the time spent with family. I'm going to celebrate my successes (I DID finish the Couch to 5K last week!!) and continue to exercise.

I know that this is also due to an emotional issue I've been dealing with. My husband and I have never been able to get pregnant and probably won't ever. We've been through all the testing and many attempts and it's not very likely for us. Over the past two years I've been coming to terms with that and was doing very well emotionally, until Saturday when I learned our nephew and his wife are pregnant. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and caught me off guard. All week I've been on the verge of tears, even through all the fun stuff I've been doing. I'm happy for them, but I'm mourning my own loss at the same time. I know I'll get through it but it'll take time again. I don't want to eat my way through all of this. I want to manage this pain other ways but food has always been my only way and I'm not sure how else to deal.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

when it comes to the zig-zagging, I'm more worried about having to pack in the calories on the heavy days I think. I'm starting P90X next week and have begun trying to plan out meals. I'm going to need to up my calorie intake by a hundred or two for that I think and it's hard planning to eat more than 1600ish, since that's what I'm used to. It's both a mental thing and acutally having to eat that much more food, without those calories coming from just junk (it's easy to eat an extra 200 cals if it's all cookies, but 200 cals worth of veggies can be a lot!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.