Thread: Hey all!
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeaveres View Post
With your low carb high fat med protein plan, how many grams of fat and protein?
As far as protein goes, I shoot for at least 0.75g/lb bodyweight minimum. For me that's about 120g protein / day. Pretty straightforward if you like your meat, eggs and dairy. Some veggies also get you there, like broccoli. Beans too.

The rest, fat and carbs, I don't necessarily count, but I follow certain food rules. I don't usually eat any bread or grain products, aside from occasional quinoa dishes once a week or so. I try to eat as many green vegetables as possible, keep starchy veggies like potatoes to a minimum (usually as extra fuel on my super-heavy lifting days, about 2-3 times a month), and "fade" from more carb-dominance in the morning, to get my day going (in the form of fruit), to more fat-dominance in the evening, to help get a good night's sleep (meat cooked in some kind of saturated fat, accompanied by a veggie or two).

For example, a FD log of mine from the end of March lists about 2350 calories total. I keep a workout log as well separately and know this was a moderately tough lower body/back day. 120g of protein met, then about 120g of fat and 210g of carbs. In terms of calories that's about 480kcal protein, 840kcal carb, and 1040kcal fat. This is pretty typical, although lately I've been trying to push total carb even lower (breaking a plateau right now).

EDIT: I should add that at this time I was still trying to figure out the best breakfast for me, so I was experimenting with oatmeal. I've since given that up, since it can make me lethargic. That's also why carb is so high for that day.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).

Last edited by tandoorichicken; 06-17-2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Clarification
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote