Notices

how in the hell do you get the 50-30-20%

Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default how in the hell do you get the 50-30-20%

I've been trying to get it right, but failing to do so. I don't see how a person can do it without eating a but load of meat(which is fine with me) or drinking a bunch of protein shakes. Btw if you know of one that tastes good, lmk please. The ones I've tried taste like sh**!!! I'm confuesed on how to get the 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats and still eat other healthy foods, like fruits and salads. I'm 5'10", 220lbs and trying to lose about 40 lbs. Doing P90x lean and running a few days a week. I try to keep my calrorie intake between 1800 and 2000 cals a day. But my weight is staying the same.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

give egg whites or fish a try to up protein
Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

Is there a reason why you want 50% of your calories from protein? That is pretty high. The ratio is usually carbs/protein/fat so you may be referring to the carb portion and not protein.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

you may need more carbs to get you through the day with P90X and running. I did a 40/40/20 ratio during P90X and that was without additional running.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by pbright120
Is there a reason why you want 50% of your calories from protein? That is pretty high. The ratio is usually carbs/protein/fat so you may be referring to the carb portion and not protein.
I read some where on here it was 50% protein and 30% carbs. If it is the other way around, then I'm doing ok with it. Btw, how many grams of protein should I be getting a day? I'm 5'10" and 220 and trying to lose 40 more lbs. I'v been tying to keep the calories between 1800 and 2000.

Thanks to all that has helped.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 AM
FitDay Member

I was in a similar situation as you. I am 6' and at heaviest was ~230. Now down to about 190 but have added a lot of muscle and waist size is pretty much where I need it to be. So take my opinion for what it's worth.

For the amount of exercising you do you should get about 150-200 g of protein per day. Eggs, grass fed (if possible) meats etc. Protein shakes are fine to replace if in a pinch but try to stick with natural choices if possible. Make sure you stay away from high carb shakes however.

I'll keep the response specific to what you asked but let me know if you want more info on what works for me.

Good luck
Old 03-25-2010, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by pbright120
I was in a similar situation as you. I am 6' and at heaviest was ~230. Now down to about 190 but have added a lot of muscle and waist size is pretty much where I need it to be. So take my opinion for what it's worth.

For the amount of exercising you do you should get about 150-200 g of protein per day. Eggs, grass fed (if possible) meats etc. Protein shakes are fine to replace if in a pinch but try to stick with natural choices if possible. Make sure you stay away from high carb shakes however.

I'll keep the response specific to what you asked but let me know if you want more info on what works for me.

Good luck
well I've only tried 2 different flavors(also the only 2 shakes) of protein powder. Didn't care too much for either. Last night a friend gave me some protein bars. And of course, they were nasty. Plus I don't like the idea of replacing a meal with a "candy bar".

If you wouldn't care, I would be interested in seeing wha worked for you. I no everyone one is different and not all diets works for everyone. But, any info helps. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by DJBlankenship
I read some where on here it was 50% protein and 30% carbs. If it is the other way around, then I'm doing ok with it. Btw, how many grams of protein should I be getting a day? I'm 5'10" and 220 and trying to lose 40 more lbs. I'v been tying to keep the calories between 1800 and 2000.

Thanks to all that has helped.
Hi DJBlankenship

A good rule of thumb is 1gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. So a 180lb person would be aiming for 180 grams of protein. This amount could be lower if you are on a low calorie diet. I would stick to PCF ratios of 40,40,20. 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% healthy fats.

As for what protein. I would recommend SPAM . The website is UK based but im certain you can purchase it where ever you are. I go for the Choc Mint which tastes exactly the same as Aero chocolate bars. I couldn't believe it when i first tried it

Ways of getting more protein in your diet:
Eggs
Lean meats (chicken, turkey, beef)
Fish (also contain healthy fats and oils)
Dairy (milk, cheese yogurts)
Whey

Hope this helps

Shep

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-08-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:30 PM
FitDay Member

Chobani Greek yogurt is excellent, tasty and high in protien. Comes in many different flavors including chocolate!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:46 PM
FitDay Member

My basic philosophy is whatever the mainstream says is the right way to do things, do the opposite and you will be fine. I don’t count calories, as I don’t believe all calories are created equal.

I am pretty much 100% processed food free. No sugar or grains (whole grain or otherwise). My carbs are vegetables and bit of fruit.

I try to get most of my calories from fat. Pretty much any fat that is not vegetable in origin. I eat lots of coconut oil, coconut milk (great in coffee) and animal fats (eggs cooked in duck fat is a little bit of heaven on earth). Saturated fats in abundance, olive oil for taste occasionally. Nuts and seeds in moderation.

Any and all animal protein (as mention before – high quality grass-fed due to its omega 3 content). Eggs – organic (non vegetarian feed if possible) most days.

Exercise – I do very little cardio. My cardio is more of sprints and high intensity interval training for 10-30 minutes couple times a week. I lift heavy weight a couple times a week as well. My workouts are always completed within 45 mins to an hr. Too much and too long exercise is counter productive.

This has worked well for me. I love the food I eat, love that I have time for my family and am healthier than ever before. Don’t be obsessed with the scale or calories. Be obsessed with good eating habits everything else will take care of itself.

Probably way too much info but let me know if I can help or confuse you even more…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.