Notices

No Self-control

Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation No Self-control

Hi everyone,

I have been on yo-yo diets seem like forever. I am 40 years old and weigh 220 lbs at 5' 3 feet. Needless to say my bmi is way over the top, OBESE. I have high blood pressure and borderline diabetic. My goal is 125. I was always skinny growing up than I gained a little after I stopped playing basketball (senior year of high school), maintained that okay size until I got married and I blew up like a balloon. Got too comfortable I guess. Now we are no longer together and I am still big as a balloon (or a couple of balloons put together).

My problem is self-control. I eat whenever, bored, stressed, to stay awake at work, and lonely [mostly]. No motivation. I know I need to do something before my blood pressure takes even more control but just don't know where to start or how to maintain once I do start.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Hi pycook69!

Welcome to FitDay . You will find a lot of valuable resources here, not the least of which is the ability to track your food and exercise, which will tell you what needs to change.

In the beginning, it seems like a lot has to change. My advice would be to take one step at a time, make one small change at a time, and slowly replace all your old, bad habits with new, better ones. Promising yourself one change is a LOT easier on the motivation end than feeling like you have to change everything.

I don't know what your downfalls are other than eating for emotional reasons, but, for example, one place to start would be to give up something that provides you with no nutritional value whatsoever (soda, Milky Ways, whatever). It would be a great option to get a little bit of exercise, too, even a five or ten minute walk up and down the block, as a way to distract yourself from eating or drinking whatever you've decided to avoid. You can always build from there.

The cool thing is that there are no rules. The bad thing is that there are no rules. It would be great if there was a great big book with all the solutions in it, but there isn't. However, it does give each one of us the freedom to figure out what works for us personally and to do that. It is a trial and error process and it takes a while, but you can do it. You are worth taking care of and worth being healthy.

So...that said, are you ready to pick one thing to change? Post it, or find some other way to be accountable to yourself, and make yourself a priority (ya, easier said than done, but you can). A lot of small steps add up to big losses!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 PM
FitDay Member

Do some digging around online about healthy lifestyle related things. It motivates me to do new things and stay focused. Plus I walk to the library (not a short walk...something like an hour each way!) and get books. One of my favorites is by Covert Bailey titled "the Ultimate Fit or Fat" (he has a series of 'fit or fat' books that were updated every so often as new info was established). It changed the way I think about exercise, and while I haven't read any of his nutrition books yet, he also talks about those. I just loved that he talks about gentle exercise and makes it seem less overwhelming to start getting healthy.

I know there are a lot of books out there, but I happen to like his! Hope your journey begins with some energy!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:18 PM
FitDay Member

Oh honey, I feel your pain. I'm 41, and when I started down this road I weighed in at a hefty 244.6 pounds. I started dieting last fall, lost 16 pounds and then stopped dieting during the holidays, gained back 10 of the 16. On Christmas Day I got on our brand new Wii Fit Plus and it said I weighed twice what I should, called me obese and added love handles to my mini Mii. Needless to say that's when it stopped being fun for me. I've done pretty well so far, but I've done exactly what cjohnson said, and taken it one bad habit at a time. For the first few days I didn't really diet, I just wrote down what I ate, when I ate it and sometimes why I ate it. This was a great exercise for me, because it gave me a way to study my habits, and pinpoint the worst ones first. Over time I've worked to get rid of the worst ones, and make some new good ones. I still have a ways to go, but I'm very determined to get there and I really think I'm going to make it and then keep it off. Fitday has been a huge help in studying own personal physical fitness and setting new challenging goals for myself. I would like to invite you to join the 100+ club, those ladies are great and we're all in the same boat together. And well we're all in it for the long haul too...
Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM
FitDay Member

You've been given some great advice already, but I just wanted to say hi and welcome you. The hardest part can be getting started, so you've taken a major step by joining FitDay and and posting here! Great job!

Someone once gave me some advice about motivation/self-control that was really helpful... saying you're not motivated or don't have self-control is one of the worst things you can do, because it's like giving yourself an excuse or permission to slack off. Tell yourself you're motivated and have self-control, and use that to do what you know you need to do for your health! You can do it!!!

Best wishes!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the Family,

Was nervous about posting my problems at first but I am really glad I did because now I have all of this sound advice and support.

I will start keeping track of what I eat and why and eliminate one bad habit at a time. Never thought about changing what I say because I have always put myself down one way or another so when someone else says it I was like tell me something I don't already know. Thanks fletch8502 i will start saying, "I do have self control and I am motivated!!!"

May be a stupid question but how is everyone putting there starting weight and goal info at the bottom are you typing it everytime or something special i can do?

Paula
Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Paula, glad to have you! Keep posting and you will get a ton of support and advice, which you are free to take or leave. Glad to hear you talking positive, girl!

If you want to post stats (just so happens all of us who responded did, but not everyone does, and you definitely don't have to), go to the User CP tab on the blue bar up top on the left. When you click on that, you will get options on the left, click on Edit Signature and you can put in whatever you want.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Cassie, I will do that now!

I don't do luck so pray I can keep up with my NEW positive talk. Going to work talk to everyone later.

Did it thanks.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

I love to see your positive, motivated statement in red and italics! You go, girl! You're off on the right foot and all of us will be here to support you when you need us. =)

Have a great week!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

Good Morning,

Why is it that when you make up your mind to do right and eat healthy you get cravings for EVERYTHING!!!!????? I am craving sweets, salt and just plain old goooooood foooooood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.