Community
Notices

need advice

Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default need advice

so i have been working out with my bf (hitting the weights) for about half a year now and i am seeing results there..and i have been doing cardio (treadmill and elliptical) on my own...not really seeing much of a result there though. and i have cleaned up my diet a lot...i mean i still cheat some...so i decided to start going to spinning class...today was my 2nd day doing it!i was wondering if anyone has any advice on anything else i need to be doing in order to lose weight and tone up.
i am 5'6 and weigh 136... i dont' really want to be skinny...i would just like to tone up and get in shape
thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
FitDay Member

psh !!
you think *you* need to lose weight and get in shape ?!?!?!??
i'm 5'2 and weigh 141 lbs. !!!!
*i* need to get in shape.
i need advice !!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

I guess my question for both of you would be, "Are you getting enough protein?". That's what I struggle with the most and it's what makes that workout get the best results. Also if you're not getting enough from the cardio, maybe you need to push that a little more and maybe challenge yourself to run a 5K?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I guess my question for both of you would be, "Are you getting enough protein?". That's what I struggle with the most and it's what makes that workout get the best results. Also if you're not getting enough from the cardio, maybe you need to push that a little more and maybe challenge yourself to run a 5K?
um im not sure if im getting enough protein.. i mean i eat greek yogurt and have protein shakes after the gym and eat chicken or steak or shrimp for dinner. im not really sure exactly how much i get though. and i def prolly should be pushing myself more in the cardio dept...i just get bored with it!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by courtney_90
um im not sure if im getting enough protein.. i mean i eat greek yogurt and have protein shakes after the gym and eat chicken or steak or shrimp for dinner.
Use the food log here on Fitday to track your food. I would venture that you are not eating as 'clean' as you think. Log all your food without trying to change anything. After a week go back and look at your results. Did you maintain a 500-700 calorie deficit average per day? Was your protein 30% of your calories. How many of your food choices contain simple carbs (flour, white bread, sugar, white rice)? What % of your calories came from alcohol (truly empty calories)?

You sound like you have established a good workout routine. I hope you are lifting heavy (not 20 reps with the 3lb weights). Utilizing the tools here on Fitday and tweaking your diet and workouts can get you to your goals. Good Luck!!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 PM
FitDay Member

If your core needs work (abs back and buns), nothing kicks that area in gear like Pilates. I've been doing Pilates for 6 months now, and there's still moves I can't do.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 AM
FitDay Member

It sounds like you are doing the right things in the exercise department but from what I have read, diet is going to make the biggest difference for you in terms of what actual tone.

I second a poster's comments that you "lift heavy" - my trainer's method is to start a series at X weight and then add 2-10 lbs every set until 8 reps is the max you can do - I do four reps of every exercise. I like this method a great deal - that first set warms your muscles up and allows you challenge yourself with less risk of injury.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:11 AM
FitDay Member

Its hard to understand what your problem is. You've been lifting weights and you see improvement in muscle tone. What do you expect to see with the cardio? Or do you just want weight loss?

Have you tried using a heart rate monitor to see if your intensity is high enough?

Adding intervals to your cardio might break you out of your plateau.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rmdaly
Its hard to understand what your problem is. You've been lifting weights and you see improvement in muscle tone. What do you expect to see with the cardio? Or do you just want weight loss?

Have you tried using a heart rate monitor to see if your intensity is high enough?

Adding intervals to your cardio might break you out of your plateau.
yea i want to see weight loss! well i have used the monitors that are on the treadmills at the gym.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Eliteweightloss
the secert negative calories foods that you probably don't know about.
Oh, you mean like celeries, clementines, and green tea? Go take your spam elsewhere, EWL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.