Notices

A few questions...

Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default A few questions...

Hey folks. Rather than start a bunch of threads, I thought I'd just throw some questions out here...

1) I have a desk job. Now, my desk job involves me walking a lot, too. I bet I spend half my work day behind the desk, and the other half going back and forth from printers, fax machines, other offices, etc, etc.
I selected "sit all day" as my daily activity level on fitday, and fitday figures I burn some 2500 calories a day just by living my normal life,before any exercise, etc. Can this be true? Seems like a lot to me. Interested to hear some thoughts on that....

2) For someone who is working out 5 days a week, eating well, and trying to lose the gut/extra weight, whats your opinion on replacing dinner with a protein shake? I've always looked at this as something a guy who is looking to build muscle and gain weight would do, but I recently read an article that suggested otherwise. Same goes for protien bars. I had one the other day after a workout, and frankly, all that chocolate and sweet stuff just made me feel guilty. Thoughts?

3)I need some suggestions. I'm having trouble increasing my protein and decreasing my carbs. Can anyone suggest some good ways/meals to help me do that?

Thanks to any responders in advance. Hope everyone is having an awesome Friday.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 PM
FitDay Member

How much do you weigh?, I think the formula overestimates the caloric levels.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:04 PM
FitDay Member

Not sure, think I lost a few, but 190 is a safe bet...
Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by NDParry
2) For someone who is working out 5 days a week, eating well, and trying to lose the gut/extra weight, whats your opinion on replacing dinner with a protein shake? I've always looked at this as something a guy who is looking to build muscle and gain weight would do, but I recently read an article that suggested otherwise. Same goes for protien bars. I had one the other day after a workout, and frankly, all that chocolate and sweet stuff just made me feel guilty. Thoughts?
Bodybuilders are more likely to drink a shake before bed in addition to their dinner. This is just provide a kick in calories just before they go on an 8-hour fast. These are guys and gals that carry so much muscle that the sleep-fast actually has the potential to eat significant amounts of muscle depending on sleep quality and stress levels.

If you replace dinner with a protein shake you will most likely achieve your goal of reducing carbs and increasing protein, while decreasing calories as well, as long as you don't add any extra sugar.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:28 AM
FitDay Member

For fat loss, at your weight, I would go to 2100 - 2200cals/day stay there for at least 5 days. After that amount of time your fat/weight will start dropping. The body takes time to adjust to new caloric intakes. The hard part is being patient but when the weight starts dropping, it comes off fast. By the way you dont need cardio with this, just continue with normal daily activity.

Last edited by adamcaa; 06-12-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:27 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey NDParry,

Good questions

Fitday does tend to over estimate daily calorie needs for most of us. Don't know why, but it does. My job is much like yours. I sit for about half the day, and stand, walk, climb stairs, bend and lift for the other half. Therefore "seated with some movement" is actually correct. But "seated" is closer to what experience has told me is my real calorie need. I also used to lowest basal metabolism calculations. There are 3 choices if you look at the "modifications" area.

Other people have added sleep hours to lower the daily requirement. It really depends on you, and only you have enough experience to know what number is close to your real needs.

The calculation for calorie need depends on weight. The heavier you are the more you need. (Which seems really unfair that as you lose weight you have to eat less ) Have you experimented with the "Weight goal" tab to see how much of a calorie restriction you need to accomplish your goal? It's a great tool to play around with how much calorie restriction vs. calorie burn it takes and over how long to reach your goal. It will also give you a pretty realistic picture of the time involved. You seem really in tune with the effort and time required, but I am surprised how many girls think that they can lose 30 pounds in a month.

I once rejected protein shakes as "plastic food" and avoided using them, but I found that they really have a place in my menu choices, especially when I am training for a race or working to build strength. I think that they would be a fine dinner replacement as long as you don't find yourself so hungry you empty the refigerator later that night. I really like the muscle milk lite. 100 cals, 6g carbs, 2.5g fat and 15g protein. It isn't enough for a "meal" but works in nicely as a snack, or with some fruit and whole grain toast a great breakfast.

You seem to have established a great lifestyle, just a few tweaks and that belly will just disappear.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 AM
FitDay Member

Parry,

1) I've had calorie counters say about the same for me and it wasn't until I ate less calories that I really saw the weight drop. I actually average 1600-1800 a day now and have seen great results. Just experiment with the protein/carb ratios, make sure you have energy for the workouts and don't get drained, and find what works for you.

2)As for the shake for dinner, it probably doesn't matter. I have a salad with a little protein myself. All the veggies and a little protein fill me up and I go to bed within a couple hours (about the time I start to get hungry again.

3)Ways to sneak in protein...I love hard-boiled eggs. I cook a batch over the weekend and take them for snacks all week. When it comes to protein bars and shakes, I'm a big fan. I've only more recently become more aware of the amount of saturated fats in my protein bars. I just wonder if that's OK, as long as I'm not eating a ton of them.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by NDParry
fitday figures I burn some 2500 calories a day just by living my normal life,before any exercise, etc. Can this be true?

2) For someone who is working out 5 days a week, eating well, and trying to lose the gut/extra weight, whats your opinion on replacing dinner with a protein shake?

3)I need some suggestions. I'm having trouble increasing my protein and decreasing my carbs. Can anyone suggest some good ways/meals to help me do that?
1.The calories are figured from standard formulas but everyone is unique. Track your calories for a week or longer and see if you are losing/gaining or maintaining. If you are losing or gaining you can figure your base metabolism by taking your loss or gain times 3500 (the amount of calories in a pound of body weight), then add or subtract this from the calories you took in for the week. Divide by 7 and you will have your base metabolic rate.
So for example:
if you lose 1.5 lbs for the week
you take in 14,000 calories (2000/day * 7)
1.5 X 3500 = 5250 ..... 14000 + 5250 = 19250 .....19250/7 = 2750 calories a day base metabolism.
You can customize your Fitday metabolic rate by going to the Activities tab and from the menu on the left click on 'Customize Metabolism'.

2. I thought I was eating well before I started to track my food here on Fitday. If you haven't already cut down on simple carbohydrates (Anything with white flour, sugar, white rice). I will resist explaining how simple carbs are most likely to be stored as fat and sabotage weight loss (but if you want to know just ask). Substitute Whole grains, vegetables and fruits. Stop drinking your calories (Soda was my problem). Adjust your intake to get 30-40% of your calories from protein. (I have a tough time doing this without using protein shakes.) Choose a protein shake that is low in carbohydrates and fat. Same with protein bars, make sure you aren't just buying a candy bar with some protein thrown in.

3.Other good sources of protein are cottage cheese and yogurt.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for the thoughful and helpful responses. they are much appreciated.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by adamcaa
For fat loss, at your weight, I would go to 2100 - 2200cals/day stay there for at least 5 days. After that amount of time your fat/weight will start dropping. The body takes time to adjust to new caloric intakes. The hard part is being patient but when the weight starts dropping, it comes off fast. By the way you dont need cardio with this, just continue with normal daily activity.

Honestly, I'd have to really try to eat that many calories. I eat 3 meals a day, usually a white meat, and veggies, and fruit snacks, and I excercise 4-5 days a week. (10 miles on my bike, running, swimming, weight workouts) and according to fitday, and burn many more calories a day than I consume. My meal plan for today alone just breaches 1200 cals. Is this bad!?

I avergaed just 0ver 1350 cals a day in the last week, which was an average week for me.

Last edited by NDParry; 06-14-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.