Thread: Hey all!
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

Jake,

Way to line up quantitative, realistic and specific goals — I respect that.

I can relate to what you're seeking as I'm seeking it too. I've hit my target baseline weight already and I'm trying to bulk up a bit too. So far I've had good results, as I'm losing fat in places I didn't know I had it and filling it in with the good hard stuff.

Diet basics - eat real food! I sometimes feel like I shout this from rooftops but it's important. You might see quick results from quick and convenient packaged food, but in the long run it's stressing out your hormonal systems as well, and these are king in your body. I've been doing great on high fat, moderate protein and low carb. Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast:
1 cup of coffee and pick any two: 2-3 eggs, 2-3 strips of bacon, 1 avocado, 1 pint of whole milk

Snack: handful of almonds, or 2 slices of cheese

Lunch: raw spinach, arugula salad with generous helping of olive oil

Snack: buffalo jerky, more nuts, more milk, or dried fruit

Dinner: Some vegetable dish, with or without meat, occasionally with a cooked high-protein grain, such as quinoa or barley (guilty pleasure; the stuff tastes great)

On non-lifting days, my calories hit anywhere from 1700-2200 kcal.
On lifting days, I go 2200-3000 kcal/day depending on intensity and training time.

Hope this is a good intro to get you started. I'd be happy to go into more detail if you have any questions. Good luck.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).

Last edited by tandoorichicken; 06-16-2010 at 07:40 AM.
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote