Notices

Hi, i'm new...

Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hi, i'm new...

Hello everyone,

My name is Heather, and i'm 35. I am an American girl living in England with my Husband, 2 dogs and 15 ferrets.. yeap go ahead and say it lol.. strange! thats alright i dont mind that part..

What i do mind... is being overweight... sighs.. lets be honest then... not overweight... obese.. a LOT...

I'm desperate to start eating better and moving more and get some of this flab off. My clothes dont fit, my feet, ankles and knees are shot and i have been diagnosed with non alchaholic liver disease.. aka..fatty liver. I just dont like who i see in the mirror... Its Well past time i get off my butt and do something!!

But how... where do i start.. i've been to my dr who is next to useless but hey ho .. here in the UK you dont get to choose who you see very much. They did suggest keeping a food journal so that i can see .. realllly see how much i'm eating. I go in waves of eating good and binging on fatty stuff and fast food i love and have to learn to just drive PAST McDonalds and Subway and the Icecream Isle at the store.

My husband, went out and bought me a Wii Fit Plus last month and i'm enjoying using that as well. Yesterday i did 30 min and worked up a good sweat, Hulahooping, stepping and a few ab muscle workouts.. Did you know Fit Day doesn't have Wii activities on its Activities list ? ahh well .. will have to work something out..

Another problem i'm having is the actual exersize thing... I said before, that my feet ( plantal faciatis) ankles (just weak from falling a lot) and knees (god knows what's wrong but they hurt !!!) are shot. I know a lot of these problems would be eased or eliminated if i could just get the weight off .. but how do i exersize when i cant MOVE!!

Anyways.. i look forward to reading the forum, getting to know some of you better and finding maybe .. just maybe a tip or two that will help me get on my way to being a healthier and happier me..

Hope thats not too overwelming for a first post...

Heather
Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 PM
FitDay Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I was pretty heavy to start 242, and I also have really bad knees. The best sorts of exercises to get started on would be things that don't have you pounding on the joints, so how about swimming, riding a stationary bike, horseback riding, yoga, core strengthening, pilates, an elliptical machine, rowing machine, weight lifting and long leisurely walks.

One of the best things I found on my weight loss journey is to wear a pedometer and try and get up over 10,000 steps everyday. It's just my little reminder to keep moving.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:19 PM
FitDay Member

Hello! and thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the tips i'll look into some of those.

I was proud of myself this morning, worked up a good sweat with 30 min on my Wii fit

i'm liking the Hula and the Step workouts a lot those are fun

I also did some of the core training stuff for another 20 min.. tummy stuff mostly so that was cool.. i cant QUITE do some of the exersizes but i figure if i keep trying.. i'll get there!

Made a crap choice this morning for breakfast though i think.. honey roasted oats and fruit .. sorta a granola like stuff... but didn't realize till i was halfway through the bowl that it was adding up to like 450 cal with semi skim milk! ahh well.. maybe something else tomarrow!

not sure what to do for lunch.. pasta and bananas lol thats about all in the house this afternoon.. need to do some healthy shopping .. thankfully that also means i dont have any junk food in the house... cept peanut butter and i could KILL a PBJ ... sighs...

oh.. ps... anyone else think its entirely UNFAIR to have an ad on this page with two great big chocolate cupcakes with like a PILE of yummy looking pink icing on it ??
Old 06-10-2010, 01:16 AM
FitDay Member

You can turn the ads off, and yes I think a pink cupcake ad is UNFAIR. I've been struggling with pink cupcakes for days now. My little dd's birthday was Sunday and we have leftover cakes and such. I've caved everyday, yesterday I managed to scrape the frosting off first.

On your breakfast I don't think 450 calories is out of whack. I usually have 400-500, so 450 sounds about right. For me it's all about what those calories are made of that's important. So log your intake and study the graphs and pie chart. Did you get some protein? How about your nutritional graph, are the vitamins up there? Did you eat something filling enough to keep you going until lunch? Granola with fruit sounds pretty filling, so I'm thinking it could be a decent start for the day. Personally I try and front load breakfast with lots of protein, because carbs just come so easily the rest of the day no matter where or what you end up eating. But even still once you know exactly what your breakfast contained you can plan lunch accordingly. So if breakfast was carb high, make lunch protein high. BTW peanut butter is actually not a bad choice either, it's high in fat, so you have to use it in moderation, but it's also high in protein. I eat PBJ all the time, with low-cal, whole grain bread, reduced fat peanut butter and homemade low-sugar triple berry freezer jam. It ends up being about 250 calories, a good number for breakfast or lunch. Yummmmmm.....

I like the hula hoop workout too. We got ours Christmas day and for like 3 afterward I had a pain in my hip from playing too much that first day. I also like to put on my headphones and do either "free step" or "free run". Wii Fit doesn't seem like a workout to me, it's like playing games with exercise as an added bonus.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-10-2010 at 01:20 AM.