Notices

Run Run Run

Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Run Run Run

Hello,

My name is Molly, I am 234 lbs. My wedding is in 7 weeks and 2 days. my goal is 37 - 40 lbs in that time. I intend to run a mile in the evening every day. Eat really light and smack myself every time i over do it. I am drinking a lot less, in fact, no drinking during the week at all. it makes me hungry and lazy. Goal weight is 200lbs. after that we will see. Ultimate goal weight is 160.

Thanks for reading.

I'll post photos later this weekend
Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
FitDay Member

I would say that 37-40 pounds in 7 weeks is very optimistic, notice I didn't say "impossible" just "very optimistic". You might find that you lose very quickly the first couple of weeks 3-6/week, especially if you are making drastic changes in your diet and exercise, but then it may taper off to more like 1-2/week which is a healthier rate but way more frustrating for a prospective bride.

In order to lose weight you need to make sure that you consume fewer calories than you burn, 3,500 calories = 1 pound. My own personal daily goal is to burn 1,000-1,500 more calories than I consume, which works out to about 2-3 pounds/week loss. I don't know what your lifestyle is like but a mile of running would not be enough of a workout for me to get my calorie burn where I need it. I take a ride on the elliptical 6 days/week for an hour. This burns around 700-800 calories. I think running burns about the same for me, but works slightly different muscles. I might recommend that you do your mile of running and then pop in a workout DVD and go for another 30-60 minutes, maybe interval training or core muscle toning. Muscle development is key in long term weight control because the more muscle you carry the more efficiently you burn calories.

The other thing you probably need to look at is where your calories are coming from. My own demon is carbs, I gravitate toward an 80+% carb diet, so in order to build muscle and slim down I had to lower my carbs and up my proteins, but every body is a little different. I'm currently enjoying a pretty good melting process by keeping my calorie pie at 40% carbs, 40% proteins and 20% fats, and keeping my calories between 1,350-1,650. Good luck honey and don't slap yourself too hard. Life's a journey and it's important to enjoy the ride.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default Ouch!

I absolutely agree that I need to do more than a mile a day. I'm super out of shape, I figure the evening run is more of a set in stone goal every day. I will do some videos like you suggest and I am planning a very drastic diet change. For the past several months i was drinking 3 - 4 cocktails a night and eating willy nilly anything I could get away with. Justifying it by saying, well im hungry. (not hungry, just bored)

I'm planning to pick up the protein because based on my graph I'm clearly not getting enough. I also realized that my goal is extreme. It is my focus and thus giving me motivation. the more i think about the wedding the less that little snack between meals looks a lot less appealing. Any weight loss every week will make me very happy.

I just went for my run and OMG I hurt. thinking I need to stretch and get my heart rate up before I go out next time. I don't want to hurt myself.

Here is a photo of me: Fattest i've ever been. this is me june 4, 2010

Last edited by MollyVarie; 06-06-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down Blah!

This morning I feel bloated and dragged down. I need to go to sleep a lot earlier. Today I have some chores to get done, after laundry is finished I plan to do some workout videos in my room. Supposed to go for a walk with an acquaintance but the weather doesn't seem to want to permit it.

Need to stay focused.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:31 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Feeling Better!

Did a short 30 minute, aerobic walking working workout on Readage.com videos

RealAge Videos - RealAge

I still intend to do my walk tonight, and possible my walk the afternoon.

Now im gross and sweaty so i gotta wash up!

I weighed in at 234 this morning. So yesterdays run didn't do much.

All i have had today is a powerade. I will have a couple of eggs later for lunch.

- Molly
Old 06-05-2010, 05:08 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up I joined a Gym

I joined LA Fitness, This means i have a place to go to get a real workout. I'm excited about this, just need to stay motivated, I went tonight with a friend, We did in order: Bike 15 minutes, outer leg machine, inner leg machine, Glute machine, lats machine (under hand and over hand pulling), Abs machine, then back to cardio on the Elliptical.

Going back on monday, wed. fri. And Saturdays

I'm ready to take this weight off!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds very similar to my workouts, I do 5 mins on the treadmill, 5-10 mins stretching, butterfly, lats, abs, biceps and triceps, then 30 mins on the arc trainer (which is very similar to the elliptical). The arc trainer is plenty to work out my lower half, my buns are now 90% cellulite free-not bad for starting out with "major hail damage" back there! I have arthritis and tendonitis in multiple joints so the stretching is very very important for me. One thing I've been doing lately is changing up my speed on the arc trainer so I'm spiking my heart rate more. Make sure you keep your arms in motion on the elliptical, if you brace yourself on the sides of the machine it's very easy to "cheat" and not even realize you're doing it. If you're taking weight off with your arms, it's much easier to keep going but you won't get the benefit.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Molly, I am going to throw in my 2 cents. Great work on making the life change. It sounds like you are well on your way to success. Have you considered changing your diet and just doing a lot of walking rather than running, gym etc. Try walking at a brisk pace for 1 hour per day outside, rain or shine no matter what. That may just be enough to lose a lot weight. All I am saying is that it is really hard and painful on the body to start running when you are not used to it. After you have walked every day for 3 months then start mixing a little running into your walks and then before you know it you will be running all the time, painlessly, or relatively painlessly at least. Lastly, there is website called runkeeper.com where you can keep track of your runs.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:16 AM
FitDay Member

Question thankS!

I appreciate the input. I will definitely take your two cents on the not running right away part. I think i may have done some damage the last time i went running. Brisk walking is key to getting myself back at a healthy pace. Yesterday when i was at the gym my friend wanted to start on the elliptical however my knee was locking up and felt like it was buckling under the stress of the movement and obviously my weight. So I got on the bike and did everything else.' By the time I came back to cardio my knee was warm enough to get on the elliptical again.

I had never used that machine before and I love it. I did not take my arms off the rowing pieces. That would defeat the purpose. So i'm with you there.

This morning though I wieghed in more than when I left for the gym at 133.2, now at 135.2 this morning. WHAT THE HELL HAPPEN!!!! stupid thing.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Molly,

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding. I'm glad that for whatever motivation you are making changes and taking care of yourself. Don't pressure yourself to do too much too soon, but push yourself a little each time you exercise and, like you said, one small change at a time. Just wanted to jump in and say not to sweat the weight change. Our weight fluctuates day to day and even hour to hour but it has nothing to do with overall loss; you might could measure that best by weighing weekly and/or measuring instead of using the scale. Don't let it derail you...and I speak from the experience of getting obsessed with it and having to hide the scale for a while .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.