View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Lizzycritter
FitDay Member

This is why I don't follow South Beach or Atkins, even though for me personally, I feel much better when I eat a high protein diet. On days I feel really well-lots of energy, good mood-consistently I'm well above 200% my RDA for protein. But Atkins and South Beach both have a lot of other rules that, quite frankly, I don't have the time or energy to deal with. I need to keep it simple if I'm going to stay the course. I try to eat 2 fruits and 3 veggies a day and be mindful of the junk food, but if it's my son's birthday and I want a cupcake, I'm gonna have one.

Nutrition is very complex. You could spend your whole life studying it and still not know everything. The concept of calorie deficit is a good place to start. Running may burn more calories than a leisurely stroll, but ANY activity is better than no activity. Before I started FitDay, I logged my calories in a notebook and did fairly well, but that became cumbersome and I gave it up. Gained it all back too. Having the RDA graphs and macronutrient pie chart and calories over time reports (besides appealing to the nerd in me) really do help you develop a good grasp of your own nutrition, what works for you, and what doesn't.

Starting weight:182
Current weight: 140
Goal weight: 135
Lizzycritter is offline   Reply With Quote