Notices

Everything Protein Powder

Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

Arrow Everything Protein Powder

I recently began working out at a health club, with the hopes of dropping about 75 lbs. I have a desk job and have been trying to watch what I'm eating. I generally eat about 1800-2000 calories per day down from about 2400 calories and workout about an hour every other day.

I am interested in finding out more information about whey protein used for weight loss. I have found some articles that suggest I have about 180 grams of whey protein per day. I also have seen articles warning about consuming too much and some of the problems one could face. Does anyone have any suggestions about how much whey protein would be appropriate?

I'd also be interested to see if others have had success with a similar strategy.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: merged threads, added new title
Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 AM
FitDay Member

My goal is to stay at the 40-30-30 spit for carbs, fat, and protein. One tool I use is a whey protein shake in the morning. I can't say that is the best way to go but I have not had any ill effects, except that the stuff does not really taste that good. I use the GNC brand vanilla, one scoop to a cup of milk and a tablespoon of fiber.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

A general bodybuilding principle for losing fat and retaining muscle is to take in roughly 1 to 1 and 1/2 grams of protein for each pound of lean muscle mass you have.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:46 AM
FitDay Member

I'm on a 40/40/20 carb/protein/fat split on ~1500 calories in an attempt to lose 20 lbs in 6-10 weeks, while also not losing muscle mass! We'll see how that goes.

I find whey gross with just water, or even 50/50 water & skim milk. For over a year I've been using only skim milk which helped the taste, but just this week I began blending in one large egg which improved taste A LOT! Plus it's just extra protein!! The only two flavors I use are Vanilla Ice Cream (like 99% of the time) and Extreme Chocolate by Optimum Nutrition.

Last edited by gi8e7oi825; 01-21-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:39 PM
FitDay Member

Default Max Protein Shake at GNC

I use Max Protein from GNC. It only has 118 calories and 3 grams of carbohydrates with 22 grams of protein. The only one I have found that tastes good and is low carb.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

I swear, you can spend hours each day researching what you could or should be eating, and in what mix.

I was keeping my carbs under 30%, but now I've switched up to 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat). I work otu 4 - 6 times a week, and I've put on muscle, but I havent' lost as much weight as I would like, so it's time to do something different.

I generally work out in the morning, and was taking either whey or whey/soy protein with a cup of non-fat Lactaid milk just before working out. Sometimes I mixed it into a cup of coffee - the chocolate ended up tasting pretty good that way.

But the whey really bothers my stomach, so now I'm trying a serving (6oz) of Chobani non-fat plain Greek yogurt. 140 cals, 14 grams protein, 20 carbs. I still have a small glass of milk in the morning before the workout, but I'm going to try to cut out as much other dairy as possible.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

I've tried GNC protein shakes before and they are nasty. Right now I get EAS from sams club since its a little cheap. Or Optimum Nutrition if I find a good deal.

And for putting an egg in your protein shake, I hope you don't get sick from salmonella poisoning.

Also if you don't like a certain protein, keep trying til you find one. I go through a five pound bag a month so I keep my options open to different brands and flavors.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

I also have a desk job and recently dropped a good bit of weight (about 40#'s in a pretty short period of time), it may not seem like a lot but I was only at ~210# to begin with... so I dropped close to 25% of my body weight.

**disclaimer** I'm no doctor but this is my opinion.

IMO Protein should be used to preserve or gain muscle. It's good to use it while losing weight b/c you don't want to lose too much muscle while shedding fat, which can easilly happen.

The rule of thumb that I go by is 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Also try to spread that through out the day as your body can only absorb (use) so much at a time. Taking too much at one time will probably result is you just pissing it out.

I use GNC Amp Wheybolic Extreme 60, it's costly but has a great BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acid) profile. I think I'm about to start adding a Casein, which is a slow Protein that is good to take before bed time.

I try to stick to a 45/35/20 ratio (Carb/Protein/Fat)

Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I also have a desk job and recently dropped a good bit of weight (about 40#'s in a pretty short period of time), it may not seem like a lot but I was only at ~210# to begin with... so I dropped close to 25% of my body weight.

**disclaimer** I'm no doctor but this is my opinion.

IMO Protein should be used to preserve or gain muscle. It's good to use it while losing weight b/c you don't want to lose too much muscle while shedding fat, which can easilly happen.

The rule of thumb that I go by is 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Also try to spread that through out the day as your body can only absorb (use) so much at a time. Taking too much at one time will probably result is you just pissing it out.

I use GNC Amp Wheybolic Extreme 60, it's costly but has a great BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acid) profile. I think I'm about to start adding a Casein, which is a slow Protein that is good to take before bed time.

I try to stick to a 45/35/20 ratio (Carb/Protein/Fat)

Hope this helps.
I agree. 1g for each pound of body weight. I have been told this a few times in the past few weeks and went out and EAS Whey protein. Is it tasty? No! I simply put two scoops into a glass of cold water, stir and chug it down. I do this twice per day for an additional 100g of protein. Keeps me feeling full as well.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

About two years ago, I tried, on a whim, the Body Fortress stuff. Vanilla, with the 8 Grams of BCAA's - and I usually blend it in a blender with skim milk, and I generally only take 1 scoop in the morning.

My problem is that i'm like my mom, I wake up in the morning and I can go all the way until 11am before I'm really hungry enough. I know this is bad, so I take this mixture in the morning (and with Skim milk, it's actually quite tasty - but as I said in another thread, I like things other people find gross, so YMMV).

I find that if I take this once in the morning, say around 9am, I can go until 12:30-1pm before i need to eat anything. I can stretch it to 2pm if I get up around 10am.

I love the stuff - I don't get morning hunger pangs like I used to get without it, and they aren't as severe when it is time to eat, so I slow down, and I can get away with eating a more appropriately sized lunch for most folks than had I gone all morning without something and I binge on something to make up for the night & morning fasting.

If you take it with water, I can't speak for you - I think powdered anything in water is nasty as a general experience, but I love skim milk, so I mix whatever I want with that and it works out, and you get some nutrients with it too - as far as the ones that come in skim milk that is.

Oh and one other thing, I've found that if I need to mix things up a bit, Silk Very Vanilla (though it's a little high in sugar, so I try to watch it for the rest of the day) is also very good with this particular brand. If I alternate between the two, I keep things fairly balanced. My stomach doesn't have a problem with it in either case, though that may be because I only take 1 scoop each day.

Last edited by siliconbased; 02-13-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.