View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
fletch8502
FitDay Member

Welcome, gamergirl! Dressing rooms are great for wake-up calls, aren't they? I've been there, done that! But it's great that you used that experience to motivate you to come here. You've taken the first step! Congratulations!

almeeker gave wonderful advice on getting started, so hopefully you can use some of that! Changing your priorities can be difficult, but it also CAN be done. You just have to decide what you want most. You've got great motivation...starting a family, getting out of the plus-size section, living a long and healthy life...use that to fuel your decisions when it comes to what to eat and what to do. One of my favorite quotes is "Don't give up what you want most for what you want at the moment." I think that to myself several times a day when I'm tempted to eat something I shouldn't, quit working out early, etc.

As for your pitfalls, here are my thoughts...
- Portion control: Try switching to 5 small meals instead of 3 larger ones. If you don't get as hungry throughout the day, you might not feel the need to eat a lot or clean your plate at meals.
- Trigger foods: Get them OUT of your house! Throw them away! Dump something terrible on them so you can't eat them! Don't give temptation a chance!
- Hatred of exercise: I feel you with this one. Unfortunately, it's just something you have to do to be healthy and lose weight. Start small so you don't burn yourself out and try to find something you enjoy. You may not ever LOVE working out, but you probably will find that it gets easier and it can be just another natural part of your day.
- Love to cook: That's a good thing! Just choose healthier recipes. Maybe a reward for losing a certain amount of weight, working out a certain number of days, etc. could be a new healthy cookbook? Find healthy alternatives for some of your favorite dishes to make (try the Hungry Girl cookbooks if you haven't...they're awesome!)
- Low self-image: I also feel you on this one, and I think most of us do. That's part of the reason we become overweight to begin with. The only advice I can give is to celebrate your success as it comes. Seeing the number on the scale go down, your clothes fit better, your endurance improve are all great self-esteem builders. Set goals, then work hard to reach them. You can do it, and we're all pulling for you!

Best wishes as you start your journey. Check in here for support and let us know how it's going. You can do it!!!!

My writing and fitness blog

My food journal
fletch8502 is offline   Reply With Quote