View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

Hello, and welcome to the fitday forum. I started this process at 5'-1 1/2" and 244 pounds, wearing a size 24W, so a little taller and a lot heavier than you. I've also been married for 13 years, but we already have children, and I was having real trouble keeping up with them. So I was exactly where you are headed if something doesn't change. Believe me you don't want to go there, you are making the right decision coming to fitday and taking charge of your health now, before kids.

What I did to get started was to track my calories and activities for 3-4 days. I didn't diet during that time or make any extra effort, I just psyched myself up for dieting, studied my own habits, what I ate, when I ate it, what I was feeling when I did eat, when I moved, how long I moved for, blah blah blah. A good friend of mine is a nutritionist and she once said to me "it's all about habits, if you have "fat" habits, you'll be fat, and if you have "skinny" habits you'll be skinny". So after doing that I learned that breakfast was my worst meal of the day, because I would eat it like 3-4 times every morning. None of the foods were terrible for me, but I was consuming 1,500 calories before LUNCH! Nowadays I'm at about 1,500 for the entire day (most of the time). I also discovered that I was getting about 80% of my calories from carbs, which I think was probably the main cause of my obesity. I've found that if I can keep my calorie pie chart at 40% carbs, 40% proteins and 20% fats I can consistently lose weight, well provided I also manage to burn 500-1,500 calories more than I take in.

I know you hate exercise, we all do, but I hate to do dishes and housework too, but I manage to get it done all the same. You have to think about exercise like you think about other things you don't like to do, but have to do anyway, like pay the car insurance bill or mow the lawn or visit your mother-in-law. The other trick is to find exercise you like to do, like dancing, or maybe as a gamergirl you might enjoy a Wii Fit Plus or an Extreme Fit set up. It's up to you. Just start small and make a plan to increase it until you reach a good calorie burn for your journey. Also I don't know how old you are, but women in their 30's need about 30 minutes of cardio/day for a healthy heart. It gets worse, women in their 40's need about 60 min/day, especially if there is heart disease in your family (which mine has in abundance).

During your 3 days of study, go grocery shopping. Buy foods that are fresh (not in cans or boxes), get bread that is whole grain and low calorie, get lots of lean proteins, buy a food scale so you can measure your portions more accurately, and a couple of sets of measuring cups. It's good you love to cook, because that is the surest way of controlling the ingredients in your meals. Cooking also burns a few calories, which is a good thing. I always try and make sure that the food I eat takes a little effort before it gets inhaled, which if I remember correctly is a Dr. Phil-ism. Once the first couple of days are over, you will have a really good idea of where to start making improvements, and you can start to implement changes one or two at a time. My first habit to get the axe was breakfasts #2, #3 and #4. Then I started working on healthier snacks and dinners. I think one of the reasons so many diets fail is that they promote changing everything all at once, and it's just too much for people to keep track of. If you want to make life long changes, I think you need to fully understand where you're standing right this minute. You also need to give yourself time, it takes 3-6 weeks to change a bad habit or adopt a new good one.

Well that should get you started, truthfully if you did WW for so long you already know all that, but I understand needing a pep talk to get started.

Can't say about the phone question, I'm apparently much lower tech than you are.
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13

Last edited by almeeker; 06-03-2010 at 11:21 AM.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote