Food sensitivity / allergy >

Food sensitivity / allergy

Community
Notices

Food sensitivity / allergy

Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 AM
FitDay Member

Question Food sensitivity / allergy

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to develop a food sensitivity/allergy at 44 yo?

Here's my story: Last night my dear son made a carrot cake and cupcakes complete with cream cheese frosting for his girlfriend's birthday. This morning I got up and iced them for him and of course couldn't resist (because you know if no one sees you eat it...it doesn't count). Almost as soon as I'd finished scarfing down the last bite of cupcake (just one), my sinuses plugged, my nose started running, and my head feels like it's in a fog, I'm clearing my throut like crazy. Even my chest feels tight and we don't even want to talk about the hot flash.

Has this ever happened to anyone before, I'm a little concerned.

Background: For 2.5 months now (which doesn't seem like an overly long time), I've not eaten any processed/white food and definately no white flour or sugar and I feel better. I don't know if this is a new reaction to eating crap, or I always felt like this. But I can only conclude that it's from the cupcake because that and a coffee are all I've eaten today. I can't contribute these symptoms to the weather because it's a beautiful morning with no humidity. The cupcake is the only variable.

Am I crazy????? Please respond.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not a doctor or expert by any stretch of the imagination, but what you describe sounds entirely plausible. Probably best to stay away from foods that make you feel like that, and see a doctor if you're really concerned. Eat what makes you feel good, not what makes you feel bad. =)

I had something similar happen...I've eaten strawberries my entire life, but last year (24 years old) I ate them and my face/mouth started feeling numb. I didn't think much of it, but every time I ate strawberries after that, the same thing happened and the symptoms got worse. I'm sure I developed an allergy. The same thing is happening with pineapple, so I'm avoiding that now, too. I definitely think it's possible to develop an allergy later in life.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 AM
FitDay Member

Also not a doctor, but have you considered being evaluted for Celiac's disease (gluten allergy/intolerance)? Since you said you have cut out white flour that was the first thing that popped into my head.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:37 AM
FitDay Member

Hi I'm new to this. You can have allergies come up at any point in your life. I'm a breast cancer survivor of 4 years. After my treatment I was left with allergies. I did ask the doctor about this and he did say that you can develope them at any time. Celiac is an allergy to wheat and glutin and that can come at any time in your life, I have a friend that became one in her 60's. Hope this helps
Old 06-02-2010, 10:58 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the feedback. Well I'm happy to say I'm definately not eating ANYTHING with white flour anymore or sugar. I will look into celiac. I've never felt like that before (I don't think).

I think I'm eating too healthy now cause it looks like my body is rejecting all the garbage I used to put into it. Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Fletch...Thanks and keep close tabs, I understand allergies get worse with repeated exposure.

rpmcduff...thanks for the heads up...I'll research celiac.

proctert...thank you for sharing your experience...I'm happy to hear that you're a survivor...stay well.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 PM
FitDay Member

I'm also not a doctor, but have lived with food allergies my whole life, and I'm raising 3 children, 2 of them with food allergies and a couple of life threatening ones at that.

I would say that you probably do not have celiac spru disease, unless your symptoms were accompanied by a really bad case of the runs. Celiac spru affects the intestines, it's a condition which makes the body unable to tolerate gluten, which is a protein found in grains. Anyway people with celiac tend to have serious issues with malnutrition and blunting of the villi in the digestive tract. It's not an easy disease to live with but it is completely controllable without medication (most of the time, but not all), and yes you can develop it later in life especially if you are of Irish decent.

If you had a serious sinus reaction, chances are that you did have an allergic reaction, but it may not have been caused by a food you ate. Most often sinus reactions are from environmental factors, although that is not expressly true either. It could be that a specific tree released pollen on just that day, and you had an allergic reaction to it, or it could have been a million other things. Food allergies tend to trigger swelling of the mouth, lips, tongue and throat, they can also cause stomach upset, vomiting, inflammation of the GI track and internal bleeding. Although having said that, foods can also cause sinus reactions, when my brother eats oranges he gets the same reaction you just described - but he is a very odd case.

You can possibly clear this up with your doctor the next time you have an appointment. With a simple blood test they can determine if you have any sensitivity to wheat, eggs, milk, soy, tree nuts, peanuts, shell fish or sea food. These are the 8 most common food allergies and they account for approximately 90% of the allergic reactions. So get the test done, and then you'll know if you should forever avoid the dreaded cupcake, or just the walnut sprinkles on top of it. There are also much much more involved testing methods, but doing the blood work first will give you enough information to determine if you need more. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:28 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks almeeker...much appreciated...no intestinal problems at all, just an almost instant upper respiratory reaction. Thanks again. Will check with gp next time I'm in.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:28 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not a doctor, but I have done a lot of research on celiac disease and allergies because they are both in my family.

I just want to add some info about celiac disease. My husband has it and it can manifest in any way, not just diarhea and malnutrition. He was constipated, had sore, scratchy throat, stuffed up and had headaches. He got sinus infections constantly. His villi looked fine until they biopsied his intestine. He was not malnourished. Once we went gluten free (after diagnosis) he was 1000% better. In children it can manifest as other diseases because of malnutrition, but it can be as minor as constipation or diarhea.

These symptoms can also be a food sensitivity or allergy. I am allergic to dairy, I developed the allergy in my teens. I get the same symptoms as my husband did, but I do not have celiac disease. The best way to determine if you are allergic is to try an elimination diet. There are different types of allergic reactions, and not all respond to prick tests or blood tests. Elimination diets can be tricky as well since the allergen can be hidden in ingredients (eg, whey protien is a dairy product, plant protien can have gluten).

I would talk to your doctor if you suspect allergies and get a celiac disease test (1% of the population has CD and most don't know it). Also look at your food log and try to write down any symptoms you may be having. See if they correlate. That will be very helpful to you doctor.

Good luck and hopefully it is just a bad day...
Old 06-03-2010, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Wylie for the input and info. Definately gonna check with my gp but until then.... no processed food, no white food, no flour or sugar. I felt alot better without those things anyways. And if I didn't make it...I'm not eating it. Thanks again.