View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
jmswanny
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydok View Post
I think one of my frustrations is that I want to see daily progress in my weight loss, so I get on the scale very day.

Sometimes my family will go out to eat, and I will end up eating more food than the current diet allows. For example, last night we went out to eat and I had a steak at Applebee's. Calorie-wise, I was still under 2000 calories (but not by much), so in a way it was a cheat day for me since I right now I usually try to stick to 1200-1500 until I am at my weight goal (which I am so close to, I can almost taste).

I stepped on the scale this morning and was 1.6lbs higher than yesterday. Then I got mad at myself for "eating so much".

But I didn't really eat that much. If 3500 calories is converted into 1lb of fat, that means I would have had to have eat an extra 5600 yesterday to gain 1.6lbs of fat, which is just ridiculous. I am assuming this weight comes from the actual food matter still being digested.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by weighing myself every day? Should I go to once a week, or once very few days instead?
A few things to keep in mind: you should be drinking enough water throughout the day that the only time you will get an "accurate reading" is right after you woke up. the number will vary due to several factors, like salt intake (which creates water retention) and more.

If you're going to go out and eat a dinner, make sure to eat a larger lunch so you're not as full and tempted to over eat. if you eat a larger meal in the day, you'll have more time to work it off and not go to bed more full and lose the chance to burn some of it off.

Try to weight yourself at intervals during the week, not everyday. if you do it every day, you run the risk of psyching yourself out, when more times than not if youve been doing well, arent bad at all. put the scale away so you're not tempted to get on it and look at it on an avg. you'll get a better sense of how close you are.
jmswanny is offline   Reply With Quote