Tired of diets! >

Tired of diets!

Community
Notices

Tired of diets!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 PM
FitDay Member

Default Tired of diets!

I worked long and hard against my fat, people advised me to take diet pills but I am afraid because I have heard bad things about this method. Let me know if someone has a diet and if you have had good results, because I've done it all and instead I think I gained more.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
FitDay Member

The best results I ever got were from plain old restricting calories (I eat around 1500 a day, but somedays I eat more, somedays I eat less) and eating healthy food rather than junk combined with daily exercise. The simplest (not the easiest), is often the most effective method. I've reduced my simple sugar intake while upping my fruit and veggie intake significantly and that seems to help me lose weight faster. Weight lifting and cardio is, so far, really helping me to lose inches. So far I've lost 29 lbs, 4inches off my waist and 4 inches off my hips, 1.5 inches off each thigh, and i've lost significant inches elsewhere as well since april/march. consistency and persistence will lead to your greatest success.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
FitDay Member

It is always very important that you see a real doctor and not anyone who can pass off as such and you just pills. To my opinion is really bad to take diet pills or any other form abrupt weight loss. Since it may gain weight again after some time.

My experience after having dropped 25 kilos, I can say that it is far from being pumped up and completely committed to wanting to lose weight slowly. It is then the only way to maintain your weight ideal.

My advice is a good diet, never stop eating, but eating healthy and at least six times a day. And fundamental is that apart from exercising helps you lose weight your body to release stress.

But visit a good doctor.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-03-2012 at 03:01 AM. Reason: removed siggy
Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 PM
FitDay Member

I don't recommend diet pills at all, they are expensive and typically speaking they are an unhealthy crutch and don't work anyway. It seems like I've tried most of them, and from experience I can honestly say they don't work nearly as well as willpower. I hate to say it, but the best way to lose weight is to eat healthy foods, watch your calories and make sure that you're burning a good bit more more than you take in. Which means you need to exercise almost daily. I also recommend you get a pedometer. I have one and I use it to make sure I've moved enough in a given day. Fitday is a pretty good tool to use for figuring out your calories in and out, but it's just a tool and only as good as the operator (hint hint). Hydration also seems to be pretty critical in weight loss, so drink lots of water, like 64oz baseline plus another 8oz per 10 pounds you want to lose. Oh and be warned the first 6-8 weeks will be especially brutal, your body will crave all the junk you took away from it, so prepare yourself for some rough days, and also a plan for self forgiveness cause chances are you're gonna cheat at least once in a while. After the first couple of months it gets easier, although it's still not a walk in the park.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:30 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jamesaaland
It is always very important that you see a real doctor and not anyone who can pass off as such and you just pills. To my opinion is really bad to take diet pills or any other form abrupt weight loss. Since it may gain weight again after some time.

My experience after having dropped 25 kilos, I can say that it is far from being pumped up and completely committed to wanting to lose weight slowly. It is then the only way to maintain your weight ideal.

My advice is a good diet, never stop eating, but eating healthy and at least six times a day. And fundamental is that apart from exercising helps you lose weight your body to release stress.

But visit a good doctor.

I see and hear this all the time---eat 5 or 6 times per day. But what does that really mean?

I mean, what are you eating---especially for those non traiditional times/snacks? I would be indebted if you just provided a 1 day sample of what you eating so I can just get a mental picture to gauge what I need to do for myself.

Thanks in advance, I sure hope you can repsond. This question really has me confused, and probably shouldnt but I just dont get it!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by MarkOsborn
I see and hear this all the time---eat 5 or 6 times per day. But what does that really mean?
It can mean a variety of things, but it's usually one of two:

1. Cutting portions of the "big three" and splitting them between two meals each - two small breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, spaced about two hours apart, so you're eating every 2-3 hours.

2. Eating slightly smaller "big three" meals, and spacing them with snacks like nuts, yogurt, jerky, fruit, etc. so that you're eating something every 2-3 hours.

A lot of people say that it helps keep your metabolism revved up. I'll add that it also helps psychologically - you end up eating a lot less than you would if you binged at a few meals, but you're brain thinks you've had a lot, so you reduce the frequency of random cravings.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 PM
FitDay Member

I mean, what are you eating---especially for those non traiditional times/snacks? I would be indebted if you just provided a 1 day sample of what you eating so I can just get a mental picture to gauge what I need to do for myself.

Thanks in advance, I sure hope you can repsond. This question really has me confused, and probably shouldnt but I just dont get it!
Well for me this means eating breakfast, lunch and dinner plus a mid-morning snack and an afternoon snack. It does not mean grazing constantly. My daily calorie budget is 1,300-1,500 calories/day, so I try to have 500 calories total for breakfast and my mid morning snack, 300 calories for lunch, 200 calories for my afternoon snack and 400-500 for dinner. Here's a typical menu for the day:

Breakfast:
2 pieces 35 calorie toast with 1/2 cup cottage cheese (150 calories)
1 small banana (72 calories)
1/2 scoop protein powder, 1/4 cup almond milk in my coffee (65 calories)

Mid-Morning snack:
1/2 scoop protein powder, 1/4 cup almond milk in my coffee (65 calories)
1 deviled egg (90 calories)

Lunch:
Taco salad with lettuce, tomato, green peppers, chicken, salsa, ff sour cream (300 calories)

Afternoon snack:
1 container of Greek yogurt (90 calories)
3/4 cup frozen blueberries stirred into the yogurt (60 calories)

Dinner:
4 oz chicken breast (200 calories)
1 cup steamed broccoli (30 calories)
1 cup steamed cauliflower (25 calories)
1 cup baked butternut squash (80 calories)

I don't eat exactly the same things every day, so this is just an example of what a day with 5 meals might look like. I also plan my day a little lighter than my budget, because at some point I'm probably going to cheat and I need a few wiggle calories for that.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-01-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

Great job on the menu for one day. You can't get no easier than that. Love your term "wiggle" calories I have to go off the wagon ever now and then myself.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

I love Tandoorichicken's 3 rules:

"1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
"2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
"3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate."

So you don't need a "diet." By entering your foods in FitDay you can see what you're getting from the foods you eat and then make incremental changes to be more healthy.

FitDay shows you the amount of calories it takes to maintain your current weight based on your lifestyle, and as long as you take in fewer calories than that you will lose weight over the long haul.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I don't know...

For me, the basic 3 squares really work best. I may have an afternoon snack, rarely a morning snack beyond a cup of coffee or tea. I just have a nice healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner. When I'm reducing calories that comes up to 1100 to 1200 cals, when I'm maintaining it is around 1900 cals. And I have been pretty sucessful losing 30 lbs in 3 months maintaining for 6 weeks and about to start to lose the last 10.

The problem I have had in the past is that the 5 or 6 "small meals" turn into 5 or 6 kind-of regular sized meals. Or I try to take a regular meal and eat it over 2 or 3 eating periods and just find myself feeling deprived.

I know all the gobbldy-gook about wanting to maintain blood sugar, but if you don't have any preexisting metabolic issues like diabetes, and you eat a nice balanced meal low in simple sugars in the first place, your body is built to handle the mild ups and downs of blood sugar.

BTW, I do not mean to diss those who have found that eating every 2,3 or 4 hours really helps, believe me. This is all about finding out what works for you. But just letting folks know that I'm one who hasn't found that to be very helpful, and there may be others like me (although I have be told that I am an oddity... that's a compliment, isn't it?? )

Pam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.