Thread: Fasting Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
MollySue2
FitDay Member

Dear 1anamia,

As someone who has suffered from an eating disorder in the past, who draws references to anorexia and bulemia in her forum name and who considers herself "mostly recovered", you might wanna reconsider your decision to fast yet again, especially since you described your past experiences with fasting as addictive. I'm not a trained doctor and I don't wanna oversimplify the topic, but you wouldn't recommend an ex alcoholic to go out for a night of binge drinking or offer a package of cigarettes to a "mostly recovered" smoker, would you?
I know that VLCDs can be an option for obese people who wish to lose a lot of weight quickly, since the health risks obesity presents are considered greater than possible risks of the diet itself, but I would be super-careful if I were you (it's so easy to slip back into old patterns). So, personally, I would look into longterm options such as a maintainable calorie restriction, regular workouts etc., but I guess as long as your fasting is undertaken with medical supervision and you do actually fall into the range of obesity it might be a way to kickstart your weight loss journey.
Just make sure you put your health first, that's what it comes down to.

Best of luck anyways!

Current Weight: 130 lbs (ugh!!!)
Current Body Fat: ???

Goal Weight: 115 lbs (03/20/11)
Goal Body Fat: 18-20%

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. (Mark Twain)

Last edited by MollySue2; 05-31-2010 at 01:37 PM.
MollySue2 is offline   Reply With Quote