View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
wizziebeth
FitDay Member

Default diabetes and low-carb diet?

Hi all,

I'm new to FitDay and to the forum, but I wanted to ask a little bit of advice.

I am almost 25 years old, living and working abroad, and am a very healthy weight with constant physical movement for work. Lately a friend who's a pharmacist noticed I was a little swollen around my neck area which he thought needed to be checked out for hypothyroidism. I subsequently went to his pharmacy to have a little blood work done just as a start, and it turned out that while my other levels were normal for cholesterol, etc, I had a glucose reading of 206, after fasting. The person who performed the tests was so shocked that she wanted to do it again. The second time it read 147, but still too high for fasting levels, and way past the cut-off of 126 for pre-diabetes. This stopped me in my tracks completely.

After discussing the results with the pharmacist, he immediately told me to get further blood work done, which I will be doing this week.

The reason I have been so worried about this, is because apart from being a diabetic-level reading, the glucose was the reading I was most interested in knowing. My grandfather had diabetes and therefore it runs in the family. While he lived a long life, it was full of complications from diabetes. Lately I had been wondering if this disease, which my mother was aware of and therefore was very cautious with us as kids, had somehow reared it's ugly head in me. I've been drinking like water's going out of style, been fatigued, and feeling erratic and emotional like I never had been before. Just based on my own intuitions, I had been eating better, eliminating anything but health-store bought whole grains, tons of fruits and veggies, salads, almost no sugar, and just basically eating really healthily.

What I'm considering now in the wake of this potential (because nothing is confirmed yet before further blood work) is a low-carb way of eating. I've been researching like crazy and IF I have diabetes, or even just pre-diabetes, I really want to try to deal with it with diet and be extremely careful about what I give my body.

What I'm curious to know is if there are any diabetics out there who follow a low-carb way of life and what are the percentages of carbs/protein/fat that you eat per day? What has been helpful/not helpful? I want to approach this matter rationally, intelligently, and really consider all my options.

Thank you for any advice you might be able to give me!
wizziebeth is offline   Reply With Quote