View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
waynegretzky
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn View Post
Could you do the same for your special occasions? Host her family, and have an organic, lean meal with lots of veggies, etc? I understand that you live several hours away, so just make sure to make a big impact when you do get together. Also talk about your struggles! It may make her feel more human.
Oh, and one last idea - as Grandpa, you may feel compelled to always have treats in your fridge or pockets for your grandbaby. Keep fresh fruits and veggies for the baby. Get a sippy cup and instead of juice, put a little crystal light in it. My 1 year old son LOVES it, it keeps him hydrated with zero calories and no sugar. Give her PB&J on 100% whole grain bread.
We have 1 rule regarding meals (no matter who's house): you NEVER have to clean your plate, but you are required to finish your veggies. So, my 7 year old has learned to eat them first. We've taught her "priority eating." Where she will eat the protein and veggies first and leave the "filler" (carbs) for last.

Good luck, but I think your best bet will be to lead by example, don't pressure but be honest and open.
Some great thoughts there Erinn, thank you. When she is here she struggles as we "have nothing in the fridge". She hates cooking too so that makes it even harder for her.

Since we have gone healthy, there are no unhealthy foods in our house period!! No treats, no cookies, no chocolates! Of course we are still losing weight too so that would not be good!

I am really counting on leading by example and talking about it lots too. Thank you so much for your help.

Started Fitday: February 19 2010 263lbs

Currently weigh in at 220 lbs

Jan 1 2012 goal 202 lbs
waynegretzky is offline   Reply With Quote