Notices

Too few calories? (I'm sure you hear this one a lot)

Old 05-22-2010, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default Too few calories? (I'm sure you hear this one a lot)

Ok, so I am finally REALLY ready, and REALLY taking it all serious.

I started out at 5' 6"/250lbs.

I've used the calculator at Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs but that seemed like WAY too many calories to me.

For 2 weeks I was around 1500cals but lost nothing, then last week I was at an average of 1200 calories a day. At the end of that week, I finally lost 10lbs.
Then came this week. Monday I gained 1lb, Tuesday I gained 4. By Thursday I got rid of that 5lb gain and was back to 240. Yesterday 241, today 240 again. So it looks like there's gonna be no real "loss" for this second week.

I'm afraid I'm going way too low in the calories and my body is freaking out--But the thing is, I REALLY want to get to 235 for my birthday (June 2nd).

So now for 2 days I'm going for around 1300... I'm so afraid to go higher, since I've been so low, 'cos I don't wanna GAIN more, I really wanna lose that 5lbs by the 2nd. It's very important to me (long, long story)... After that, I will relax and not be trying to lose so rapidly. But I HAVE to lose 5 more pounds by my birthday.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by m3rma1d; 05-22-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

it's not all about the calories. Where are your calories coming from? Try eating a lot of fruits and veggies and pure, unprocessed foods. Try not eating anything that has something in the ingredients you can't pronounce Not only are they higher in nutrients, but you can eat a greater volume for the same amount of calories and keep your metabolism running. Also- working out is very important when losing weight- it'll help you maintain muscle mass, burn fat, and rev up your metabolism. Make sure you're strength training especially. This will help you lose fat and inches much much faster.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

I'm eating whole foods.
The only thing I've eaten that I didn't make myself from fresh ingredients is a minimal amount (2 tbls and under) of dressing on salads.
Also eating tons of fruits & veggies.
If anyone wants to look at my food log, just lemme know how I'd go about sharing it...

Am trying to do more exercise... Walking more and doing and some at-home stuff every day (situps, bit of light weight lifting, etc.)
Old 05-22-2010, 01:44 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Try weighing yourself a little less often

I know it sounds a little counter-intuitive. Among other things our weight does fluctuate a pound or 2 due to accumulation wastes, water, and food. But maybe more importantly everytime you don't meet your expectation and freak out your body is reacting. For some the reaction results in poor eating, lifestyle habits, and for others the body reacts by releasing stress hormones that can interfere with your weight goals. A weekly weigh-in is plenty.

Secondly, really really try to get a little more exercise. Start slowly so you don't find yourself aching the next day. But I swear nothing will help you more than getting the old body moving.

I am one of those people who have a very adaptable metabolism. 1200 to 1900, if I do nothing doesn't really make much difference. It is the exercize that really gives me the control over weight loss. Plus it really keeps be mentally balanced.

Good luck, dear - although there is little luck involved. Stick to your resolve and you will, indeed succeed.

Pam
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Neighbor (well, I'm about an hour north of Portland).

My advice is to measure/weigh everything--it is very easy to underestimate portions and therefore calorie intake. Make sure you track EVERYTHING you eat/drink in FitDay.

I think 1200 (or less, even) for a while is fine, if you choose the food wisely. Drink LOTS of water--I prefer ice water as the body must burn calories to warm it up in your body.

If you're up to it, some sort of cardio for at least 20-30 minutes every day will speed things up even more.

It really does come down to calories eaten vs. calories burned. If calories in are less than calories burned, you WILL lose weight.

The advice to weigh once a week is good--especially for women--there is always that "one" week where fluid retention may throw off your progress.

Don't get discouraged--it CAN be done.

Michael
Old 05-23-2010, 07:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by m3rma1d
I'm eating whole foods.
The only thing I've eaten that I didn't make myself from fresh ingredients is a minimal amount (2 tbls and under) of dressing on salads.
Also eating tons of fruits & veggies.
If anyone wants to look at my food log, just lemme know how I'd go about sharing it...

Am trying to do more exercise... Walking more and doing and some at-home stuff every day (situps, bit of light weight lifting, etc.)
That's great! The only suggestion, then- is to make sure you're getting close to all of your daily recommended vitamins (which is a huge reason I love fitday!). I can't seem to get almost everything unless I'm eating about 1500 of very healthy whole foods, but the key would be the types of foods. 300 calories of pasta is going to be much lower nutrition than a 300 calorie avocado. Also- keep amping up the exercise like you're already working on- it may take a while for your body to catch up, but when it does (mine is just starting to after 3 months of hard exercise and very healthy eating- i'm almost 30lbs down now, and it seems i'm starting to lose at a fast rate now than i was when i just started out! I'm also noticing some small, but wonderful changes finally)- you will not be disappointed!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

my doc. told me to stop drinking soda and juice with a lot of sugar in it (apple and grape=bad for u!) and replace everything with water water water!!!! nothing else for a week. this helps to flush your system and is easy with the crystal light flavor packs. she also said that if im craving soda to drink a flavored sparkling water instead.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by missfatty89
my doc. told me to stop drinking soda and juice with a lot of sugar in it (apple and grape=bad for u!) and replace everything with water water water!!!! nothing else for a week. this helps to flush your system and is easy with the crystal light flavor packs. she also said that if im craving soda to drink a flavored sparkling water instead.
Thanks, but I only drink water (with lemon wedges in it for flavor)