Notices

Merging FD foods into one entry

Old 05-28-2015, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down Merging FD foods into one entry

There are some foods I eat in combination in the same ratios every time. Currently I have to select every component and enter it into my daily food log. It would be nice if I could consolidate these into one custom food. Is it already possible and I just haven't figured it out? Enter the data manually is time wasting and tedious. Any help?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know of a way to merge nutrition information about several foods.

You probably know this somewhat tedious and painstaking method:

You could write down the information yourself from each food in the quantity you use (for example, 2 fried eggs, 2 pieces of toast, two slices of fried bacon), add them up and then manually enter them in a custom food. 'My fried egg breakfast' could be the name.

Then each time you have that breakfast, you can choose that custom food.

It takes a little time but if you really eat the same things a lot, it probably makes life easier. You won't have the vitamins, minerals, etc., carried along with it - but that is always the case with custom foods.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118

....It takes a little time but if you really eat the same things a lot, it probably makes life easier. You won't have the vitamins, minerals, etc., carried along with it - but that is always the case with custom foods.
Do *you* have time for manually entering that much? Probably not as I suspect is true of most of us. The amount of coding it would take to add this feature is miniscule compared to the 10's of 1000's who could use this effectively. As I recall now, the reason I stopped using FitDay in 2011 was because it was too much of a PITA to manually enter so much stuff. As a moderator do you have any input to the Webmaster of this page?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Not really!

But maybe someone else will have a suggestion - we can only hope.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 05-28-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default We need to share food entries and recipes

Originally Posted by dreamsinger
Do *you* have time for manually entering that much? Probably not as I suspect is true of most of us. The amount of coding it would take to add this feature is miniscule compared to the 10's of 1000's who could use this effectively. As I recall now, the reason I stopped using FitDay in 2011 was because it was too much of a PITA to manually enter so much stuff. As a moderator do you have any input to the Webmaster of this page?
I wholeheartedly agree. The foods list would be greatly improved by allowing users to share their custom food entries and recipes. With today's technology, barcode scanning can also be used to populate a database with the details of food products we use. I would gladly pay for a premium product which includes these features. Without them, this Fitday is too tedious to use - even for free!
Old 11-20-2015, 04:20 AM
FitDay Member

The best option to reduce tedious data entry is to use "FitDay Classic" on a PC. When you click on "View My Recent Foods" there is a list of the 8 days foods with check boxes. You can check multiple boxes and click "Add Checked", this will move all the foods checked, with their quantities and units into today's page. Then all you have to do is adjust the quantities. Since FitDay was developed for the PC platform and later migrated to a smartphone app, I think this important feature didn't make the migration. Using FitDay on the PC using this technique isn't really tedious at all.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

That would be so AWESOME if I could enter 'recipes'. I have been struggling with that too. I like to make a soup for my lunches that is low carb/low calorie. That is what I eat most days for lunch... Sure would be nice to be able to enter "My Soup" rather than all the ingredients each day..
Old 11-20-2015, 05:30 AM
FitDay Member

For this I use recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp. You enter in your ingredients and quantities, then it develops a "nutrition facts" table like the one on the side of a package. Then you do a food search for a soup that is generally similar to the one you make; then choose "customize this food", change the name and update those nutrients that are listed on the "nutrition facts" you created at the other site. Save and voila you have a custom food for your recipe. Again this works great with "FitDay Classic" not sure on the later version.