View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson02 View Post
I LOVE Avocados but worry about the fat.
The fat in avocados is predominantly monounsaturated fat. It's good for you and it really fills you up in a way that polyunsaturated fat doesn't. I wouldn't stuff down more than one per day, because at some point you're going to start storing, but one a day for breakfast doesn't sound too shabby to me. I hear it beautifies the skin too.

Have you tried spicing up your veggies? We have Indian food at home all the time and we sauté about a half tsp each of cumin, turmeric, mustard seed, powdered coriander seed; about a quarter tsp of asafoetida (a pungent, garlicky spice; a clove of garlic is a decent sub); and red chili powder to taste before throwing on the veggie of the day. Could be boiled cubed potatoes, cauliflower, shredded cabbage, spinach, corn, green beans, zucchini, okra...

The spices usually mask the odd wilty consistency of cooked vegetables.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote