Notices

How to get thru that time of the month without blowing it

Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default How to get thru that time of the month without blowing it

I have been faithful with my nutrition and exercise for the past 2 weeks SOLID. I know that my TOM is coming any day.

Out of nowhere I have given in to chocolate and a cookie today...and didn't want to...but it's almost as if my body 'needs' it...HELP...It's ending up in my mouth before I know it.

I am also frustrated with what the scale does during that week...I think I will have my daughter hide the scale until a couple days after it's all over. The fluid retention could push me over the edge!

Any suggestions/tips to keep the fluid retention down and the 'cravings' at bay?

I don't want to get off track. I have lost 9 pounds and want to keep going.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

I am completely in agreement with you on hiding the scale. During that week, I don't even get on it because I know it will just pi$$ me off!

As for the chocolate and munchies- how about some devils food cookies or fat free chocolate jello pudding? They are both low in calories and have either little or no fat. You need to find something that will satisfy your craving but in a healthier way. Maybe even a chocolate protein shake. Everyone keeps talking about how great they are and filling too.

You aren't the only one that has those days. I have them too but I am to the point now that I can walk away from the stuff. I know that NOTHING that goes in to my mouth is worth the price I have to pay to get it back off.

Here's a tip for you too- when you absolutely feel like you HAVE to eat something, drink a glass of water and make it a BIG one. Don't sip it- drink it all down. See if the hunger feeling is still there after you are done. I have a big 44oz cup (one from any gas station or convenience store) on my desk just about all the time and probably drink 4 full ones a day at least. Water or tea is good for you, will keep you hydrated and keep you feeling full for awhile until you can get past the craving.

Good Luck-
Deanna
Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 AM
FitDay Member

Good advice Deanna...thanks for that! I have nothing to add, but can relate Kelly. Frustrating. Hang in there!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 AM
FitDay Member

I relate as well. I have learned to avoid the scale during that time and just stick with what I'm doing. It's particularly challenging for me to get to the gym during my totm, but going has really helped my cramps.

This probably isn't the healthiest solution but when I have serious sweet cravings that I can't shake with all my other tricks (drink water, eat carrots or berries), I drink diet soda. I think Faygo or Canfields has a diet chocolate soda and all I need is a few sips to curb the craving.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:13 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with this particular week each month. I get a back ache that lasts for days...but will get on my bike anyway! (might make it feel better?)..

I'm not a chocoholic by any chance....just seems that things I can typically avoid, creep their way in. I ONLY think of candy bars during this time...otherwise...I bypass them with ease!

It's as if my body TALKS TO ME and I am not in control...does that sound weird?

I will survive it like I have all others...just wishing there was a little "stay on track" pill I could take for 5-7 days!! LOL
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

I understand, too. I have unholy periods, and apparently between changing my diet, starting to exercise and stress its messing with my cycle. I've gone from being a few days early every month to a few days late, which doesn't help the stress factor anymore. And I hear you on the "body talking to you" thing. At this point, after six weeks, I've gotten to where I don't really think too much about what to eat, it takes me a lot less longer to plan out my foods the night before. Until that PMS voice starts in. I have a constant chant of "sweet, salty, sweet, salty" running in an undercurrent at all times. I totally can't wait until I have a job that provides insurance again, because not only am I rediculously overdue for a checkup, but birth control really seems to help control the emotional wreckage and cramps. I know it will make weight loss harder, because they all seem to make you gain weight more easily, but I'll put in the extra effort to not roller coaster so badly. I wish I had some advice for you, the best I can do is let you know you're not alone in that particular struggle!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:27 PM
FitDay Member

dBrinkley80, Could you get free samples of BC from your MD, or at planned parenthood (I think they do a sliding scale). Just thinking of a way that you wouldn't have to wait!

You hit the nail on the head with the mantra "sweet, salty"...for me it's the voice reminding me of goodies that are in the pantry! Today I threw away Turtles that my step son had given me...just knowing they were around was torture, and I found myself giving in to the temptation...such a relief that they are gone!

Gotta love the hormones!! NOT
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

Oh yeah, Kelly, I don't even keep the stuff in the house. The worst we have is Mt. Dew, cause that's all the boyfriend drinks, and don't even get me started on that! We actually have what's called a free clinic in town, which I need to look into to see how free it actually is. I'm fairly sure its income based, and seeing as I have no income, it would be nice if it were indeed free!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
FitDay Member

I am living this nightmare as we speak ladies!! I am on day two and the only way I have kept in my calorie goal range is by virtually locking myself in my home!! I have already previously removed all temtping items, haha......but i can't keep this up forever, gotta work on friday and work is a hard place to turn down the sweets
Old 01-21-2010, 01:18 PM
FitDay Member

comala19-RE: the food at work. I have the opposite problem...When I work at home I have the pantry RIGHT THERE!! I have a thought on the food at work...especially it it's homemade...just imagine that there is hair in it, or something gross. THAT works for me at all you can eat buffets too...I HATE THEM for the reason...watch all the people touching that spoon, and where they are putting their hands! ICK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.