Notices

Motivational Thread Nov 24-30 Learning from mistakes

Old 11-24-2014, 01:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default Motivational Thread Nov 24-30 Learning from mistakes

I for one am about to recover from one big mistake. We have a water softener attached to our incoming water, with salt filtration. At the same time our reverse osmosis system was not working.
At first I was boiling tap water to drink. Big no-no on a low sodium diet.
Then I just stopped drinking water. Big no-no regardless of your diet.

I have been retaining water like crazy. My feet are puffy and hurt. Not as bad as last spring, but still bad.

My goals this week:

Water intake - 8 glass minimum
Serving sizes - All things in moderation
5 walks - 7 1/2 mile minimum
Old 11-24-2014, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

Good Morning!

Had a good weekend food-wise. Despite an out of town shopping trip, I seemed to remain on course. The mall was handing out a lot of food samples, cookies, fudge, cheese, sausage, etc., but I would take a bite, sample it (...thoroughly enjoy it!) and then hand the rest to my husband. lol I was able to find very healthy menu choices at the 2 restaurants that we visited. I have a little over a pound to reach my Thanksgiving goal. =)

I have no idea why, but I'm happy to be back on my food plan. Since it's not that bad, I'm going to continue on past my goal weight and have a 5 lb. bumper built in for the holidays.

Won't be walking again today, 40 mph wind gusts. But I must have walked for miles shopping over the weekend.

Since everything continues to work, I'm sticking to my simple game plan:

1. Stay within calorie limit.
2. Drink coffee, water, tea, diet soda all day.
3. Stick to mostly 1 ingredient foods as possible.
4. Minimum of 4 fruits and veggies a day.
5. Be proud of ALL food choices; watch fat grams.

Enjoy your day!

***Mike, Did so well with my weekend picks, that if NO wins tonight, I'm in first place!!!! No pressure or anything... lol.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by enzorossi
Your water goal is a good start. It is only a normal intake though. You probably want to add more water to your diet. If the goal is to lose weight.

If you are having trouble with your drinking water you should buy bottled water.

You can usually get it pretty cheap. I get a case of 24 water bottles that are 24 oz "sport bottles" at BJ's Wholesale Club for $4.50.

A glass of water is only 8 oz. so 1 bottled water would equal 3 glasses of what you are already drinking.

Also get spring water as it tends to be the most pure and has some naturally occurring minerals in it.

good luck!
Actually, my GOAL is to walk, eat right, and drink the minimum amount of water. I am also big on recycling and reusing.
I use a 2L bottle and my water system is fixed now.

Weight loss is only the side effect of healthy eating and exercise.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

enzo, please remove the link from your signature. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Good job on the picks quinniepoo.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:28 AM
FitDay Member

The only thing I hate about drinking water in a waterlogged environment is waking up 3 times in the night to pee, instead of once. I slept in because of it.

My goals this week:

Water intake - 8 glass minimum Yes
Serving sizes - All things in moderation Yes
5 walks - 7 1/2 mile minimum 7.5-2.5=5 miles to go
I'm glad our streets were built in a mile grid or it would be harder to estimate distance.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with the bottled water approach. It's easier to judge how much water you have drank during the day when it's measured on the bottle.
Have Christmas party to go to on Fri. Potluck so I will have to be careful picking and choosing. Hopefully someone will bring veggie tray which is a good way to fill up without calories.
Still have to finish raking the leaves (not much) but with winds of 50km/h not possible today.

Jenn
Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 AM
FitDay Member

I fill a 2L jug every morning that is exclusively for me. Bottled water around here has a soapy taste. Good for emergencies, but I wouldn't want to drink it all the time. I prefer the reverse osmosis water from our well. Good mineral count, tested every month, and best of all, no chlorine.

I took my walk this morning. Only 1 1/2 miles. My legs felt hung over from yesterday's extra mile.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:36 AM
FitDay Member

I am supposed to use my alone time on my walk to work through scenes for my novel, but instead, I was thinking about weight loss.

Yesterday I got some rather blatant hints from people. Enzorossi for one about weight loss. I understand his thoughts, but there is much more to it than weight loss.

Another hint was from a well-meaning neighbour who told me that another neighbour inspired him to walk because she started walking every day and lost a lot of weight.

All this brought about a thought process this morning. The woman who lost all that weight did not lose it from walking, she had cancer and lost a lot of weight during chemo. She walks now for her health. She looked pretty bad after the treatments, but now she looks good, healthy.

I have walked before. Forget walking, I went through a period of about 10 years where I was walking 2 1/2 miles every morning, then going to the gym 6 days a week and doing 6 different cardio classes each week, besides my hour of stretches and weights. I didn't really lose weight, only toned my muscles.

Mike is not a new friend to me here. I met him years ago on this very forum. He has seen me come and go. Sometimes I lost a few pounds, sometimes I didn't. But always, I gave up.

This time I am not here losing weight. I am here getting healthy. If I lose weight while I am doing that, great. Fantastic! I don't want to look good for anyone. In fact if I lose enough weight I might have to buy frumpy clothes. A few Mennonite dresses and a hair net should do me.
The whole reason for this is health. I don't want to have another heart attack. Experiencing that once in a lifetime is good enough.

There, its all off my chest now.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Annette,

I completely agree with you. The majority of Enzo's posts have been critical, designed to sell his product and make a profit off of those desperate to lose weight quickly. I wouldn't take to heart his comments. I, too, was scolded for drinking diet soda. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to agree that it has no nutrient value. But, it works for me.

Enzo needs to realize 3 things:

1. Do not come here to sell your miracle product. Most of us have been around the block long enough to know that most are designed to only fatten the wallet of the seller.

2. What works for a 30 y/o man will not work in the same way for a 52 y/o woman. I watched a bit of his infomercial, and I too, was involved in a very serious car accident resulting in a traumatic spinal injury. His recommendation of skipping exercise for this sort of injury is unfortunate. He may get away with it at 30, but will, in all probability, result in complications from arthritis as he ages. With arthritis the old saying is true; if you don't use it, you lose it.

3. This section is for motivation and support, not criticism. Again, what works for one, may not work for all. One size-fits-all approaches are ridiculous. All need to be courteous and supportive of the path that works for us.

Fortunately, these people aren't around for long. They post 5-10 times, drop their product bomb and leave. I predict that this will happen with him as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.