Notices

Drinking water

Old 11-19-2014, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default Drinking water

Do you need 8 glasses of water a day?
Old 11-19-2014, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

I am not an expert, but I have heard different amounts over the years.

One included an equation based on your weight to give you a base amount of water, then adding 1 glass for every carbonated or caffeine beverage you consumed, and an additional glass for every so many minutes of exercise to replace fluids.

At one time I noticed that some of the more intense people at the gym weighed themselves before the work out and then again after, replacing fluids to bring their weight back to the starting point. I doubted that until the day I saw a puddle around one of the exercise machines. One guy had sweat so much that you could see it just dripping off of him.

I also heard that women need different amounts of fluids during hormonal fluctuations during the month. I understand that with water retention. If I take in 8 a day, I am less likely to retain fluids in my hands and feet.

I have also heard that the 8 a day can include liquids used in cooking. Herbal teas are good as well.

I have also learned that too much water is a problem. My sister-in-law was rationed. Her doctor told her to keep in under 16 a day. As for water poisoning, I looked that up and you have to take in a lot of water in a short period of time. It would be pretty intense.

So that is everything I have heard about water. I try to keep it to my 8 a day.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

Need to survive, no. It will help with weightloss, especially if you are substituting over drink for water. I find when I drink 100 oz or more a day, the weight comes off easier, but that's what works for me. Everyone is different. I think a good rule of thumb is if you begin to pee clear, you have enough water.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by JDoe30
It is one of the basic health tips, but the amount of water vary from person to person based on age, activity level, physical condition and even climate. You need to take in enough water to replace the amount you lose daily through perspiration, excretion and other bodily functions. This is very essential to remain healthy and fit.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Water is essential to good health, yet needs vary by individual. These guidelines can help ensure you drink enough fluids. Water needs depend on many factors, including your health, how active you are and where you live.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by JDoe30
more!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Banned

Taking in water allows your body to replenish the supplies it loses when you breathe, sweat and excrete waste products. It also helps flush toxins, deliver nutrients to cells and maintain moisture in your ear, nose and throat tissues. Drinking water may even help your skin look healthy and vibrant.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

Unfortunately, no.

BUT I have started training myself to do so. I have a glass of water by my bed, so it is the first thing I take when I wake in the morning. Before eating, the first thing I prepare is a glass of water and every hour or so my phone alarms to remind me to drink a glass of water.

I just hope that I will soon remember this by myself without the need to set an alarm on my phone.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:44 AM
FitDay Member

My sister was told to drink 8 oz h20 before and after each meal but none during, 8 oz upon rising and right before bed. She soon realized that when she stayed hydrated she wanted less of things like sodas and it took less food to satisfy her hunger. This is what works for her.
I drink 3 cups in the morning, 3 at lunch and 3 at my afternoon snack and usually 1 before bed. I find that it seems to help curb my hunger. I've also heard over the years that thirst sometimes masquerades as hunger and I've found that to be true for me as well. Vicki
Old 12-10-2014, 02:19 AM
FitDay Member

With Two-Liters being the 'recommended' daily intake of Water, the average person exceeds a little further, water used in Tea, Coffee, Soda, Etc. Most unfortunately don't consume even that much. Making Water your primary beverage is the best option to start with, though it can be hard. Also, there are dangers of over consumption, even with water, so be careful. Try to drink some-where between Two-Liters and Four-Liters, each day.

I personally drink at least One-Gallon, each day. At most, and not recommended for beginners, I've drank Three to Four Gallons, in one day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.