Notices

Strange question...?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default Strange question...?

We keep our elliptical machine upstairs in a spare bedroom, and it seems like every time I work out on the elliptical, later that night or the next day, I have a scratchy throat, and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I don't EVER feel like this when I work out anywhere else (ie:living room, outside, etc).

Do you guys think there is something in that room that is irritating my throat? Or am I just losing my mind?! lol

I know it sounds super weird, but it is becoming a constant thing and I'm worried that there's something in that room that could be harmful to my health (mold maybe?).

Any thoughts? Please tell me if you think I'm a lunatic lol
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 AM
FitDay Member

Well there could be something in that room. I don't know. Are you allergic to dust mites? If so carpeting and heavy drapes can harbor lots of them, so you might consider vacuuming with a HEPA filter, washing the drapes or increasing the ventilation. Or maybe there is a blossoming tree or shrub outside the window? Carpeting can also off-gas and cause respiratory distress. The other thing you might consider is getting your ducts vacuumed, although if it's just that room that bothers you then that might not be the problem.

Have you ever used the elliptical anywhere else? Like at the gym or in the basement? Maybe it's the elliptical itself, since it's a pretty intense workout. I use my elliptical almost every day, I'm an asthmatic and I do have dust mite allergies. The room it's in only has an area rug and the drapes are very light and washed every couple of months. I can tell you that I always turn on a fan and make sure to get plenty of ventilation going for that workout. And even still, sometimes I have to use an inhaler afterward, because asthma can be triggered by cardio exercise. It can also be triggered by cold air. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

Well, as far as I know, I don't have any allergies...the room is sort of in the middle of a remodel (no carpet, only dry-wall up right now), so maybe it's the dry-wall that's bothering me?

I've used elliptical in gyms before and have never had any issues with it, so I can only assume that it is either the dry-wall, or I am developing new allergies or asthma as I get older. *shrugs* I dunno.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Is there a big temperature difference upstairs from downstairs?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:16 AM
FitDay Member

Not really, no...granted, we do keep it rather warm in the house during the summer months, so it gets quite hot while I'm working out, and it IS mildly cooler downstairs. Hubby is a farmer is outside in the heat all day, so I can't have the air conditioner running too cool or he will get sick from the temperature changes when coming in from working.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 AM
FitDay Member

If the room is being remodeled there might some floaty dust that gets in your airways. You could always wear a surgical mask when you workout

Wow that really is an interesting problem. Don't know what the best solution is outside of moving the elliptical until the room is finished.

-Nik
Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

Lol I really felt quite silly asking you guys, but since it has turned into a "more than once" kind of thing, I thought maybe there was some underlying issue that I wasn't thinking of! Hopefully we'll get the room finished this summer, and I can exercise in peace :P
Old 05-18-2010, 01:12 PM
FitDay Member

try putting a humidifier in the room so its not so dry while your workingout.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jennygoodman
Well, as far as I know, I don't have any allergies...the room is sort of in the middle of a remodel (no carpet, only dry-wall up right now), so maybe it's the dry-wall that's bothering me?

I've used elliptical in gyms before and have never had any issues with it, so I can only assume that it is either the dry-wall, or I am developing new allergies or asthma as I get older. *shrugs* I dunno.
Drywall contains fiberglass, so yep it definitely could be the drywall.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:46 AM
FitDay Member

Could it just be that your elliptical workout is causing the greatest persperation and you aren't replacing the liquids? I worked out for a long time in a room that was getting remodelled and the only time I noticed sypmtoms like yours was right after the walls had been skim coated and sanded. It might be the cause, but I would look at water intake also.