View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
AvivaBha
FitDay Member

Default We're not learning to Diet.. We're learning to Live it

People who are generally good at maintaining weight, and just have less than half a stone variance to occasionally 'get tough on' should probably bump their exercise and cut the crap.... but the rest of us...

We have a long haul before we are anywhere near where we need to be healthwise...and a tough problem, when we (if we) get there, we most likely won't be able to sustain the loss..

We have to be able to enjoy the weight loss process because we might need a few years to arrive anywhere near our goal... And we have to learn all about eating... including eating balanced meals and balancing in a few treats too.

I don't think about it as specific days when i'll 'eat everything and anything'.. rather I think at all times.. i'm going to really try and eat as healthily as I can, so that if at any time I want a treat, i won't feel too bad about it.. sure I would have reached my goal a few days quicker if I DONT eat that TREAT.. .but then I know that all the treats delay 'that day'... and all the exercise or healthy food choices get me a bit nearer where I want to be.
That's the essence of balance.

The scales tell me whether I'm getting my balance right for weight loss, and overall its going to be easily transferrable to that golden 'afterwards' when I hope I'll have learnt enough to be able to maintain my achievement.

Also.. I believe that inclusion of treats, or of non-diet days can work to avoid that horrible plateau situation.. if the body thinks food is getting scarce, it reacts by doing less, and when we give it bursts of junk food, or at least times when calories are abundant.. it never decides to go to starvation mode, and weight loss overall benefits.

I'm something of a yo-yo weight wise.... I tend to get very huge, then I tend to lose most of it but inevitably get bored or experience a situation which causes me to pile the weight back on.. its sometimes one year up up up.. one year down down down.. I'm quite the expert on losing weight

Those times when I was patient and prepared to lose just a couple of pounds a week were the times when I enjoyed it more and kept the weight off longer.

Good luck everyone... and good eating.

PS: I've used the word 'treat' since that was in use here... but really TREATS are healthy delicious foods. All the unhealthy foods are not TREATS... they are just foods we want to eat even though we know they are not doing us any good.

Last edited by AvivaBha; 07-15-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Adding something
AvivaBha is offline   Reply With Quote