View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
peacelover74
FitDay Member

Hi there,
I'm 36 and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 years ago this summer. I lost about 60 pounds through diet and exercise and have been maintaining since. Currently I have regained about 8 pounds and would like to lose those, but I'm at a 20 BMI so I'm still in the healthy range!

I will say that all the doctors and nutritionists I met with didn't know a thing about diabetes! The diabetes forum saved my life and my sanity. I learned about different types of carbs, what my numbers should be, when to test, etc...There is a lot of love and support on that forum. I don't visit anymore, but for the first 1 1/2 I was there several times a day.

For me, losing the weight was key to keeping my diabetes under control as was finding ways to continue to enjoy food without being unhealthy. I used to love carbs (especially sweets). I don't eat them at all now because I think of sugar and white flour as a drug. Once you stop eating them, you lose the cravings. I still eat carbs, but only things like low carb wraps, steel cut oats, fruits and veggies. It's a matter of determining what is good for your body. Always test 2 hours after a meal. That will help you figure out what your body can and can't handle.

There are lots of low carb options out there, but you have to search the internet for them. I have tried a lot of things from netrition.com and carbsmart.com. When a cookie craving really strikes, I make a peanut butter cookie with 1 cup peanut butter (all natural, no sugar), 1 egg and 1 cup z sweet sweetner (cooks much better than splenda). I top each cookie with a small bite of 85% dark chocolate. Delish and about 40 calories each.

I wish you luck. Congrats to you for taking charge of your health. It really does feel so much better to know you are doing what is right for your body.
peacelover74 is offline   Reply With Quote