Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Chocolate Cinnamon Oatmeal (with an unexpected ingredient) >

Chocolate Cinnamon Oatmeal (with an unexpected ingredient)

Notices

Chocolate Cinnamon Oatmeal (with an unexpected ingredient)

Old 07-05-2014, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Chocolate Cinnamon Oatmeal (with an unexpected ingredient)

I made an interesting breakfast this morning.
1/2 c quick oats,
2 dashes of cinnamon (with the shaker top),
2-3 tsp of sugar (I didn't measure),
1 oz of crushed walnuts, and.....
1 c of Atkins Creamy Delight Chocolate shake!

I cooked it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, it was a little too thick for me so I added just a splash of milk. Wow, it was good. The combination of cinnamon and chocolate was wonderful, and the crunch and meatiness of the nuts was super. I've seen lots of people put chocolate chips in their oatmeal, so I thought why not chocolate Atkins, which will add fiber and lots of protein instead of the empty calories of chocolate chips. It was really a good breakfast! It was a little high at 490 calories, but it's got a healthy 17.7 g of protein and 10.9g of fiber. Not to mention how healthy oatmeal is for your heart! Filling, too.

Last edited by JediMindTricks; 07-05-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

I love the empty calories of chocolate chips - ! - but now I'm going to try making oatmeal with skim chocolate milk! Thanks for the idea!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

Very creative, Jenai--and healthful, too. Your sharing that may liven up breakfast for a LOT of people.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 PM
FitDay Member

I have been playing around with my oatmeal in the mornings. I would prefer steel cut oats, but every brand I can find locally has a "may contain" or "processed in a plant that also processes nuts."

1/4 cup old fashioned oats (long cooking)
1/4 cup buckwheat groats
1 T. ground flax seed (I had to read a lot of labels to find one)
1 cup water
2 T. homemade low sugar fruit syrup

Another choice

1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup Red River cereal
1 T. ground flax seed
1 cup water
2 T. homemade fruit syrup

And for coffee people replace water with brewed coffee. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla for flavor.

Cook the cereals with water in microwave for 1 minute. Cook another 1 minute, stir and cook another minute. I find that if I need a 4th minute I am risking a boil over. Add syrup, stir and cool for 1 minute before eating.

The coffee option came up when my husband drained our drinking water tank just when I was ready to make my breakfast.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:54 PM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=JediMindTricks;109727]I made an interesting breakfast this morning.
1/2 c quick oats,
2 dashes of cinnamon (with the shaker top),
2-3 tsp of sugar (I didn't measure),
1 oz of crushed walnuts, and.....
1 c of Atkins Creamy Delight Chocolate shake!

I cooked it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, it was a little too thick for me so I added just a splash of milk. Wow, it was good. The combination of cinnamon and chocolate was wonderful, and the crunch and meatiness of the nuts was super. I've seen lots of people put chocolate chips in their oatmeal, so I thought why not chocolate Atkins, which will add fiber and lots of protein instead of the empty calories of chocolate chips. It was really a good breakfast! It was a little high at 490 calories, but it's got a healthy 17.7 g of protein and 10.9g of fiber. Not to mention how healthy oatmeal is for your heart! Filling, too.[/QUOTE

Mouthwatering!!! Gotta go! I need to buy the ingredients!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:05 AM
FitDay Member

Ah oatmeal (or "porridge" as we call it here) is the one meal that's the same every day for me. My concoction is as follows:

35g Rolled Oats
10g mixed nuts and seeds (I prefer a mix of: cashews, slivered almonds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds)
1/2tsp flax seeds
1/2tsp currants (for the sweetness as I don't add sugar)
150mls milk (97% FF)
shake or two of cinnamon

Mix well and microwave on full power for 2mins. You'll need a bigger bowl than a breakfast/dessert bowl as it bubbles up a bit as it cooks. Enjoy!

(calories 250, protein 13.1g, carbs 29.9g, fat 8.6g)

If you have a sweet tooth or are used to adding sugar/porridge containing sugar you might want to sprinkle some brown sugar over it. Or add a lot more currants. It's also good with dried cranberries.

If you need to convert the measures from metric to imperial go here: onlineconversion.com

Last edited by whathaveidone; 10-13-2014 at 12:31 PM.