Notices

Sugar & Gluten free way of living!

Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Sugar & Gluten free way of living!

I have knocked the sugar & gluten out of my daily diet for the past 11 weeks and lost 18 lbs in the process I have also lost my brain fog and Irritable Bowel Syndrome which has dogged me for 54 yrs!!

I started rather gradually last year when I weaned off bread but 2 mths ago the new science on food became very clear about the sugars effects on the heart and how sick it makes our hearts..just google it, it is shocking! I switched to green tea from black tea, and threw out our processed foods and make everything from scratch. It is still a learning curve but I look and feel so much better and by fall I will be close to my goal weight..but for now my doctor is thrilled with my numbers and my progress so I am just taking things one day at a time
Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

That's fantastic - congratulations!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 PM
FitDay Member

Default Exposed sugar and gluten to lose extra pounds

Thanks for sharing this useful information with us. Yes, I can believe that exposed of sugar and gluten in regular diet helps to lose some extra pound and it also helps to improve your Bowel movements.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:45 PM
FitDay Member

I am started the no sugar today and wheat today. Sugar is a massive trigger for most of us. And when you read up on GI & GL (glycemic index), it makes even more sense. I also like the science of GI. Totally with you will give it a few months before I do gluten as well.

I think cutting sugar out is not just for people with weight issues, but depression & addiction issues to name a few.

Keep it up Meggietye :-)
Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 PM
FitDay Member

Default Sugar & Gluten free shopping products

congrats !!

here i am sharing some Sugar & Gluten free products which is easy to shop everywhere :-

- Kale
- Almonds
- Walnuts
- Olive oil
- Avocado
- Spinach
- Wild salmon etc.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 AM
FitDay Member

How inspiring. I have heard good things from some people who have given up not only sugar and gluten, but even grains. I'm wondering, what tips do you have to ease into it and to successfully incorporate yourself into this diet? I'm sure it requires quite the willpower.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi folks! wow such a positive response to my little post, thank you so much

I am late getting back in and have been just chugging away doing my thing for the past 2 weeks. In response to the inquiry of how I did/am doing all of this, big question actually.
Well, I heard on tv or radio awhile back that sugar interferes with a lot including recovery from viral and bacterial infections. So, since bread is instantly converted to sugar, as is potatoes/white rice, and my favorite marmalade...same thing,,,I knew I had to change my stratedgy of eating toast with jam every morning plus when I was sick. That was my first change, not all at once as it isn't an all or nothing proposition for me, but I found alternatives and just gave it a good try.

In March of this year I saw a Facinating interview and demonstration on tv by a gal named Sarah Wilson. Sarah was talking about the evils of sugar to our hearts and vascular systems and a dozen other things...I was ready to hear more. She has a book (bright, colorful and an easy read) full of information/ideas/recipes/alternate ideas etc. I bought it from amazon online and had it in 5 days and have been devouring it ever since. When I began the book I saw there was real hope.

I used to drink black tea with sugar all day, plus big glasses of water but switched to decaf green tea with a bit of milk so my teeth wouldn't stain..neat trick, eh? Lol Then on Dr Oz's advice I stopped eating store bought granola ( full of the harmful fats and sugar ) and now dine on Oikos Greek yogurt and banana. I bought. NutriBullet last year and make green drinks from romaine/small piece of banana/half an avocado/almond milk/water...I have 2 of those. The right kind of fat from the avocado fills me for hours and hours over lunch/afternoon. I form kidney stones so I can't have kale etc, too high in oxolates for me. I have sardines once a day, more if my depression is tough, it really helps.

I never mix starch, which I have rarely anyhow, with a fat...that is a fattening mixture. for example..bread and butter, or potato /butter, you get the idea.

At supper it is just a habit now to have a protein with a fat plus 2 or 3 veggies.
I roast entire cookie sheets of vegetables and people DEVOUR them!! My husband groans when I come in the door with more fresh veggies but he smiles hugely when they are prepared as do the kids and grand kids. Most of my cookbooks have been donated and I have found recipes online and a couple of other books that are sugar free with suggestions as to what to use instead.

It is more accurate to say I am fructose - free as fructose is the really damaging thing. In Sarah's book she has recipes for things like granola that is sweetened with an alternative and explains what to stay away from, and why, and exactly what to buy and try to suit you and your family best.

I would suggest to pick just ONE thing, cut back on it..get used to it and in a very short while your taste buds will have adjusted. I used to drink black tea witty a teaspoon of sugar 10x per day....now I drink fat burning green tea with no sugar or any other sweeteners, just a bit of milk with fat in it, to prevent my teeth from darkening 8x a day. Same satisfaction, sugar free!!! for fun this week I made black tea the old way and had a sip, uck, the sweetness made my stomach turn...my taste buds have changed

Note on skim milk....bad idea, it has the fat removed but is high in, you guessed it...sugar!!
I use Unsweetened Almond milk in my twice per day green drinks but 2% in my green tea. Do you know the hog industry feeds its pigs corn and some even use corn and skim milk to fatten them??!! and since ingesting sugar makes you crave MOre sugar..no wonder skim milk and cookies has you eating so many cookies. I have stopped my sugar insanity, or at least I am on the right train

My huge push to change began the last week in March, it is June 14 and I have lost 20 1/4 lbs and have 60 to go. But it is how I feel that I am hooked on..NO brain fog, joints are less painful without daily bread/potatoes/rice/flour, my depression is lessened, my IBS is not just lessened but completely gone. I am now using many of the 108 recipes in 'I Quit Sugar' now I have begun to feel more comfy with my new way of being. My husband says he feels like I am his partner in life again, and he is slowly converting to my way eating.

Sarah Wilson also has an online program for getting off sugar in a group environment but I am doing alright on my own so just using her book..thank heavens for her book! anyhow the book is a complete 8 week detox program and cookbook which would be terrific for anyone wanting something organized in book form, and online optionif you like the group
support.

One more thing..sugar feeds cancer cells. I have had cancer, don't want it again. makes me stop and think, for sure.

Meggietye
Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

A couple of weeks have passed and I thought I would pop in and give you an update on my low low sugar way of life. I buckled and had a Mars bar and it triggered a migraine within minutes....I was Really sick for 3 days. Well that was certainly a very eye opening moment for me. 2 months of next to no sugar and I overdosed my system and it reacted violently...no more chocolate bars or icing etc for me!! ( I have been known to keep a can of icing in the fridge for weak moments ...all that behavior is ancient history ).

We have had some very unsettled weather the past 2 weeks, real migraine producing stuff for me, so I have not been exercising but I am visibly thinning out not eating grains & sugar. I am still way overweight but I can feel & see a waist again. The important thing is tho I am feeling so good!!! My husband is still amazed at my mental clarity compared to as recently as 2 mths ago when I was getting some grains and regular sugar.

I thank each of you for your kind words of support, you are so kind

Happy Long-Weekend!

meggietye
Old 07-03-2014, 12:31 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Maggie. Very inspiring story and thank you for sharing. Yes I also heard about what kind of effect can sugar have on our health. Especially the white sugar. But did you maybe try brown sugar or you cut out all types and forms of it? And what about honey? Honey can still be used as sweetener and it's 100% natural.

I also read that you gave up on bread. Ok gluten is healthy as sugar...NOT But did you say "goodbye" to all forms of bread? What about whole wheat bread with or without some grains in it? I read on other "healthy life style" blogs that they are extremely good for digestion and you don't put on so much weight. What is your thinking? Please share.

Thanks,
Jenna
Old 07-03-2014, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Meggietye
I have knocked the sugar & gluten out of my daily diet for the past 11 weeks and lost 18 lbs in the process I have also lost my brain fog and Irritable Bowel Syndrome which has dogged me for 54 yrs!!

I started rather gradually last year when I weaned off bread but 2 mths ago the new science on food became very clear about the sugars effects on the heart and how sick it makes our hearts..just google it, it is shocking! I switched to green tea from black tea, and threw out our processed foods and make everything from scratch. It is still a learning curve but I look and feel so much better and by fall I will be close to my goal weight..but for now my doctor is thrilled with my numbers and my progress so I am just taking things one day at a time
I've never ever thought that we can lose 18 pounds in 11 weeks through knockout the sugar and gluten from our daily diet. It increased my knowledge about weight lose tips. It's fabulous. Congratulation by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.