Notices

hi, I'm new to this site!

Old 05-14-2010, 03:08 PM
FitDay Member

Default hi, I'm new to this site!

Hi everyone! My name is Kelly. I'm 5'7" and 163 pounds, at 20 years old. I've gained weight since I started college, which I've been very unhappy about, but never believed I could change. Recently, I discovered some photos of myself from when I was 16, and at my smallest size, and it's lit a fire under me to get back to a healthy size (20 pounds lighter).

I've come to this forum because my friends offline don't really encourage me, they just say I'm overreacting about my weight, and to stop complaining. It's pretty discouraging, but I know that if I really try, and have some kind of support, I can get back to a healthy size.

So that's why I've come here, to look for some support. It's nice to meet you all! =]
Old 05-14-2010, 10:57 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome, Kelly! Congrats on joining and making the decision to improve your health! You'll get plenty of support here...lots of like-minded people who will encourage you, help you stay on track, and celebrate with you!

Does your college have a fitness center that's free to students? If so, take advantage of it! A free gym is something I miss most about college now that I'm out in the "real world"... =)

Best of luck!!! Keep everyone posted on your progress and let us know if you have questions or need support.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

I say it's much better to tackle that 20 pounds now, rather than later after you've added many times more than that to it. I wouldn't worry about the discouragement from friends too much, it's hard for people to encourage others to diet. Because then they themselves might have to admit to an unhealthy habit or six. You do this for yourself and just maybe you'll motivate your friends to do it too. Good luck honey.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome Kelly!

I gained during my college years as well, even though I went to the gym on campus once in a while. But only now that I started tracking my food i realized that I never watched what and how much I stuffed into my mouth. So I found logging in everything I'm eating to be a great devise.
You might wanna check out our 5-15 pound-thread, we have weekly weight-ins on Tuesdays and support eachother between weight-ins on the main thread. New members are always very much welcome!

Best of luck for your journey!

MollySue
Old 05-15-2010, 03:43 AM
FitDay Member

Kelly, I gained about 25 pounds in college (freshman 15 yea right!). I tried to keep in mind that I grew up on a dairy farm and was very busy with work my whole life, then got to college and slept 12 hours a day. Regardless, I lost the freshman weight, then started gaining it back my last year. The summer after I graduated I finally took an oath to get healthy and it's been working in my favor ever since. Congrats on tackling your health along with college, I personally always took 12-18 credits, worked at least one if not two part-time jobs, and still tried to have a boyfriend or see friends, it was hectic.

We're all here to support you and help you reach your goals. I'm typically pretty disciplined but the days when I'm really down in the dumps and I want something unhealthy to eat and feel like skipping workouts that I log on here. Even if I don't jump on the forums, I love the journal feature of the fitday account. It let's me pour my heart out, then I get up and go for a walk at the very least so I don't fall off the wagon. It's not easy, but if you really want it, success will come your way. Best of luck!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:14 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the support everyone!

Fletch, the huge school next to mine has a gym, that I can use for free. I try to go, but it's kind of another confidence issue: the school that owns it is full of rich girls in size 0 pants, so I feel awful when working out next to them :[
But now that I'm home for the summer, I'm goingt to try to use my high school's gym, because I don't really care if the people in this town think I'm out of shape! Ha!

My biggest problem is that since I'm home, I'm surrounded by good, real food. All of my comfort foods, that I don't get while I'm at school. I try to tell myself to fight off the cravings, but it's so difficult!

Any advice on how to deal with the comfort food urges?

MollySue, I'll definitely post my updates! I want this to work. :]
Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

I feel you on the confidence thing...isn't it terrible when you feel like to have to already be thin to be at a gym trying to get thin? Crazy! But it sounds like you've got a good plan. And if the high school gym doesn't work out, throw on a pair of sneakers and walk or run or dance...well, you get my point. =)

Re: dealing with comfort foods...can you make some of your favorites but make them healthier? Have you ever heard of the Hungry Girl e-mails and cookbooks? I love them because there are a ton of comfort foods or favorite foods made with way fewer calories, fat, etc. And most of them are very easy to make, which is perfect for me because I cannot cook!

Best of luck!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 AM
FitDay Member

To that comfort food issue, I have the same problem when I'm home. I watch what I eat so carefully and even little slipups can kill my progress, so when I'm home, I actually bring healthy foods (fruits and veggies) to snack on because they aren't as plentiful as at my apartment. If you're living at home, try making your own requests on the grocery list, or just go yourself. It helps that my mom now knows that I want healthier dishs, so she'll let me make something separate and healthy for myself (my dad would never love all the veggies and no butter!). But it helps that she knows I'm trying to be healthy and she tries to accommodate that.

Best of luck and keep logging on here for support
Old 05-18-2010, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

Hi kelly!
I am new here too! 38 yrs old 5'1 and 149lbs. the number may not seem that much for someone my size it shows.
I have some friends that say I dont need to loose weight too but they dont know how I feel or how it is to not fit in my clothes or not want to go clothes shopping.
I think this will be a great place to improve our health and loose weight
Best wishes to you!!