Notices

From which products I'm having this amount of vitamins?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default From which products I'm having this amount of vitamins?

Hi everyone,

I'm new in fit day and already a big fan of the site. I always want to calculate exactly which amount of vitamins and minerals I'm taking in food.

When I'm seen the total nutrition and see the option table, I see the percentage of the vitamin and mineral. But I feel that if I was able to see from from which products - meals I'm having this amount, will be better.

Let me explain. I know that I can again and again in any food to how much it has of any vitamins, but I want to do is just click in the vitamin or mineral from which food this amount is coming.

So for example: If I'm taking 87% of magnesium. If I click on the magnesium, would appear for me : 4% coming from eggs, 20% coming from Kale raw, 9% from quinoa and so on.

Like I said, I'm a beginner using the fit day, so I don't know if already have this option. If have, please someone tell me and if don't have, you could see if is difficult to put this option in the program.

Thanks for read

PS: And taking the opportunity to ask, When I'm looking for a food, and I change the unity, the calorie breakdown and total nutrition (below the square nutrition facts) don't change. How I make this change according to the unit and quantity that I choose?

Last edited by carlosh123; 05-27-2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to make a question
Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Clicking on a vitamin or mineral and seeing a breakdown of its sources would be kind of neat, but fitday doesn't have that capability. You'd also be looking at a percentage of all (100%) of the magnesium you have so far, and then getting that breakdown. So it would change every time you added a new magnesium-containing food to the log.

Kind of like watching the percentage of saturated fat change as you add new food to your food log.

If you find a food and add it, adding 2 cups instead of 1 cup, the calories should be double when you add it to the food log. The nutritional breakdown, in percentages for the food, won't change. The nutritional breakdown for your total food for the day would change, in a report you can get from 'reports.' If I understand your question correctly....?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
Clicking on a vitamin or mineral and seeing a breakdown of its sources would be kind of neat, but fitday doesn't have that capability. You'd also be looking at a percentage of all (100%) of the magnesium you have so far, and then getting that breakdown. So it would change every time you added a new magnesium-containing food to the log.

Kind of like watching the percentage of saturated fat change as you add new food to your food log.

If you find a food and add it, adding 2 cups instead of 1 cup, the calories should be double when you add it to the food log. The nutritional breakdown, in percentages for the food, won't change. The nutritional breakdown for your total food for the day would change, in a report you can get from 'reports.' If I understand your question correctly....?
If fitday could do that would be great. But really this can be done manually taking notes of how much each food raise this or those vitamins.

About my last question, you said that nutrition breakdown won't change. Even the total nutrition of the food? (the option on the right side). I ask this because I can't know for example how much vitamins or minerals has in a food. I will know, in the nutrition facts, above, the percentage but not the quantity which would be much easier to calculate.

Thanks

Last edited by carlosh123; 05-28-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

When you talk about the nutrition being the option on the right side, is that the pie chart of protein,carb,fat, and alcohol? If you ate twice the amount of cornflakes, for example, you'd see a change in the carbohydrates and that would not only be the total amount in grams but there would be a change in the percentage. Not exactly double, because cornflakes also contain some fat and protein (I'm guessing, but I haven't looked) but the percentage would increase. You'd see it in the pie chart. You'd see it in the numbers. You'd see some changes in the fat and the fat breakdown.

There's a drop-down menu there with an choice that shows 'calorie breakdown.' It has grams and percentages.

Do you use the reports? They don't break down by food, but they give you lots of information about vitamins and minerals in your food so you don't need to calculate.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 05-28-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:53 AM
FitDay Member

When you talk about the nutrition being the option on the right side, is that the pie chart of protein,carb,fat, and alcohol? If you ate twice the amount of cornflakes, for example, you'd see a change in the carbohydrates and that would not only be the total amount in grams but there would be a change in the percentage. Not exactly double, because cornflakes also contain some fat and protein (I'm guessing, but I haven't looked) but the percentage would increase. You'd see it in the pie chart. You'd see it in the numbers. You'd see some changes in the fat and the fat breakdown.

There's a drop-down menu there with an choice that shows 'calorie breakdown.' It has grams and percentages.

Do you use the reports? They don't break down by food, but they give you lots of information about vitamins and minerals in your food so you don't need to calculate.
Isn't the pie chart. Se that the pie chart just appear because you are in the calorie breakdown option. If you choose the option on the side, total nutrition, you will see the vitamins and minerals that RDA recommends, the % that you have in that quantity of food and how much, in grams milligrams or IU, that quantity represent of that vitamin. And I want that numbers in total nutrition change according to the quantity of the food that I put on amount and unit. So will be easier to assume: Oh, this food with 100g has 50mg of calcium, let me try 150-180g and see how much will be. That's kind of option that I want.

And currently, the numbers don't change. Don't change if you change the amount in the same unit and don't change if you change the unit. And I think won't be so hard to make the program do this, because the program have the numbers of the vitamins and minerals of the food (this is true when you look at the total nutrition, now the option in your food log, e click on table that you see that the program have all the numbers) so it just need to update when you change the amount or unit in that option that I told about.

Understand what I'm talking about?
Thanks

Last edited by carlosh123; 05-28-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

I'm using the free fitday, version 2.0. Not premium. Are we using the same thing?

What I see (and I usually use the classic, not 2.0, because I like it) in 2.0 is that the pie chart to the right has a drop down screen. It doesn't have total nutrition as one of the options (it has: calorie balance, calorie intake, calorie breakdown, calories burned, weight history, bmi, measurement history, mood history.)

Where 'Total Nutrition' appears is as a tab next to 'Food Log,' right above the log of foods you've tracked so far. There are three tabs: Food Log, Total Nutrition, Custom Nutrition Goals.'

I look at four cups of roasted potatoes that I ate and logged today. If I tab over to 'Total Nutrition,' I see a graph that shows me that is 150% of the RDA. I tab back to Food Log and change the four cups to two cups. What's tricky here, I think, is that you have to click on a 'save' option that appears slightly below to the right of that entry. Make sure that the save 'takes' and you see the amount change - to 2 in my example. Then, when I go to Total Nutrition, I see that my carbs have changed to 111% of the RDA (I have other carbs in my food log so it's not going to be a halving of the percentage...)

I did that once, but I'll do it again to make sure I described it correctly.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 AM
FitDay Member

I'm using the free fitday, version 2.0. Not premium. Are we using the same thing?

What I see (and I usually use the classic, not 2.0, because I like it) in 2.0 is that the pie chart to the right has a drop down screen. It doesn't have total nutrition as one of the options (it has: calorie balance, calorie intake, calorie breakdown, calories burned, weight history, bmi, measurement history, mood history.)

Where 'Total Nutrition' appears is as a tab next to 'Food Log,' right above the log of foods you've tracked so far. There are three tabs: Food Log, Total Nutrition, Custom Nutrition Goals.'

I look at four cups of roasted potatoes that I ate and logged today. If I tab over to 'Total Nutrition,' I see a graph that shows me that is 150% of the RDA. I tab back to Food Log and change the four cups to two cups. What's tricky here, I think, is that you have to click on a 'save' option that appears slightly below to the right of that entry. Make sure that the save 'takes' and you see the amount change - to 2 in my example. Then, when I go to Total Nutrition, I see that my carbs have changed to 111% of the RDA (I have other carbs in my food log so it's not going to be a halving of the percentage...)

I did that once, but I'll do it again to make sure I described it correctly.
Now I got!

You told that you use the classic version, so I was looking for a way to change for this version and found in the top of the page. When I changed, I tested this option that I'm talking about.

In the classic version, when you change the amount e click to recalculate, the vitamins and nutrients change immediately and that's what I was talking about, so I can test various quantity of foods and see which one has the better cost x benefit for me.

And not just that option that I found the classic version better. When I was in the classic version in the total nutrition, the minerals that I was unable to reach the %RDA recommend, were showed in red. So I realized that I didn't notice that my potassium was ins 73%. This was helpful too.

I think that options should have in the version 2.0 For now I will stick with the classic version.

And let me ask you: How I can make to the foods that I add show everytime? Because right know I have to keep coming back to the day that I add the foods, but I want this show in front page. How I leave this automatically?

And you think that the quantity of vitamins and minerals are right for all food? Because I tried to change one food vitamin and was successful, so if someone with bad intention want to muddle some foods, wouldn't be possible?

Thanks for the help
Old 05-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

In fitday classic, if I change those 2 cups of potatoes to 4 cups, I still have to click on the button beneath the log that says 'Save Changes.' In fitday 2.0, the need to click on save is still there, it's just slightly below the entry you are changing in the food log.

But either way, the change has to be saved for the nutrition to be updated.

In fitday classic, I automatically go to the food log when I log in. The nutrition is show underneath. In fitday 2.0, there's food log, total nutrition, custom nutrition goals - but you still go to the food log first.

Those are the differences I see. I can see that the red highlight in fitday classic is useful, too.

The current day shows on the food log page. So, I'm not clear about how to get it to show on the 'front page.' The current foods are on the front page. To look at a different day's foods, I change the date in fitday classic by going to the calendar and clicking on the day I want. but you can also click on the 'show previous day' icon at the top of the page.

The way that you can change vitamins is by changing the amount of a food that you eat and logging it - then it gets added on. But you haven't changed the basic vitamin and mineral value of the food in the database, only the count of those vitamins and minerals for your particular food log that day. It's not going to get carried forward. It doesn't affect the database or anyone else's counts.

If you're 'fine tuning' your vitamin and mineral nutrition, keep in mind that custom foods that you enter are only going to have the values that you enter. For example, if you eat some mayonnaise and you enter the values from the nutrition label on the jar, the log will only get that information. Maybe you got other vitamins and minerals that weren't listed on the jar, so your ultimate totals won't be strictly correct. If you want to have a good idea of your nutrition, don't enter custom foods for a day, for example. When you enter your custom foods, unless you have accurate quantities for all the nutrition information, your nutrition totals are inaccurate because they will be incomplete.

If you want to go to fitday classic by default, every time you log in, you change that in 'settings.' Otherwise, you can just choose it by clicking on it at the very top of the screen, where you saw it.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 05-28-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:06 AM
FitDay Member

this website is awnsm
Old 05-12-2023, 12:00 AM
FitDay Member

oranges