Notices

Food Search tool: can't find cream?!?

Old 04-22-2014, 04:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default Food Search tool: can't find cream?!?

Specifically, I'm looking for 18% cream and whipping (35%) cream. Neither one of these comes up on the first page of a list of results that goes on forever. There needs to be a feature added to the search tool to limit search options at least by major food group, so I can search only in "dairy" and not get "creamed cabbage" in my search results.

Veeerrrryyy frustrated.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mmrochuk
Specifically, I'm looking for 18% cream and whipping (35%) cream. Neither one of these comes up on the first page of a list of results that goes on forever. There needs to be a feature added to the search tool to limit search options at least by major food group, so I can search only in "dairy" and not get "creamed cabbage" in my search results.

Veeerrrryyy frustrated.
Thanks for the feedback. What are the exact keywords you are searching for? Is it just "cream" or you are adding additional words?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:58 AM
FitDay Member

I've tried "10% cream," "18% cream," "35% cream," "whipping cream," "coffee cream"...

Similarly, I had huge difficulties finding "ground beef" with specific fat percentages for the longest time, until I posted a comment and someone gave me the hint that I should look under "hamburger."

It's ridiculous, really.

You guys should really check out "nutritiondata.self.com" if you want to see how an effective food search tool in action.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

Still waiting for some help on this, please?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Administrator

You can always enter these items as a custom food. Or you can select any of the ones in the database that happen to match the nutritional contents of the food items you are trying to add.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Sure, I could enter these as custom foods.
But I shouldn't have to.
It's *cream*, fer gawd's sake. Not exactly obscure, y'know what I'm sayin'?
Old 05-24-2014, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

If you use 'classic' fitday (as opposed to 2.0), you get 'food groups' to choose from along with 'recent foods,' etc. Which you click on food groups, you will see dairy. When you click on dairy, you will see 'creams' as one of the subgroups. When you click on 'creams,' you will see varieties of cream.

However, there isn't 'whipping cream.' I'm thinking that what we in the States call 'whipping cream' may be different in other countries, or at least called something different in other countries. So, what you get is cream, light cream and heavy cream. The way to see the percentage is to click on the entry for 'heavy cream, ' for example, and see the %fat. I think it's 17% fat. That's not whipping cream. What is shown is 'whipped cream,' in the other options and I am guessing that is already whipped.

'Cream' is not obscure. When I'm using an old cookbook and making something from it, I'm pretty sure the cream from 1965 is different from the cream in 2014. Maybe not, but products and what's standard on grocery shelves may change. So that's why I feel more comfortable using the nutrition label of the product I use. On the other hand, I miss out on all that detailed information provided in a database - the nutrition information is not going to be as complete. If I'm concerned basically with fat, calories, protein, carbs and fiber, it's complete enough for me.

When all else fails, I just add the cream I'm using as a custom food. Awkward, I know, but then I do know that it's accurate for the product I'm using.

I use 'classic' so I'll have to go to 2.0 to see where that breakdown is offered.

OK. In 2.0,
when you are in the food log, there's the phrase 'Not your food? Browse,' I imagine under the search box - should be easy to see, above the log area. Click on the Browse word and you will see the categories I mentioned for 'classic, ' just with little icons of folders. Then when you click on 'Dairy and Eggs,' you will see subfolders. 'Creams' is one. It's the same as in the classic fitday, just not splayed out - instead, it's in folders. I prefer seeing it all, but it doesn't matter. The database is the same.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 05-24-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:28 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

What an amazingly thorough and helpful reply! Thank you SO MUCH, Kathy!!
Old 05-27-2014, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
If you use 'classic' fitday (as opposed to 2.0), you get 'food groups' to choose from along with 'recent foods,' etc. Which you click on food groups, you will see dairy. When you click on dairy, you will see 'creams' as one of the subgroups. When you click on 'creams,' you will see varieties of cream.

However, there isn't 'whipping cream.' I'm thinking that what we in the States call 'whipping cream' may be different in other countries, or at least called something different in other countries. So, what you get is cream, light cream and heavy cream. The way to see the percentage is to click on the entry for 'heavy cream, ' for example, and see the %fat. I think it's 17% fat. That's not whipping cream. What is shown is 'whipped cream,' in the other options and I am guessing that is already whipped.

'Cream' is not obscure. When I'm using an old cookbook and making something from it, I'm pretty sure the cream from 1965 is different from the cream in 2014. Maybe not, but products and what's standard on grocery shelves may change. So that's why I feel more comfortable using the nutrition label of the product I use. On the other hand, I miss out on all that detailed information provided in a database - the nutrition information is not going to be as complete. If I'm concerned basically with fat, calories, protein, carbs and fiber, it's complete enough for me.

When all else fails, I just add the cream I'm using as a custom food. Awkward, I know, but then I do know that it's accurate for the product I'm using.

I use 'classic' so I'll have to go to 2.0 to see where that breakdown is offered.

OK. In 2.0,
when you are in the food log, there's the phrase 'Not your food? Browse,' I imagine under the search box - should be easy to see, above the log area. Click on the Browse word and you will see the categories I mentioned for 'classic, ' just with little icons of folders. Then when you click on 'Dairy and Eggs,' you will see subfolders. 'Creams' is one. It's the same as in the classic fitday, just not splayed out - instead, it's in folders. I prefer seeing it all, but it doesn't matter. The database is the same.