Notices

VEGETARIAN DISHES--Add yours if you wish

Old 03-30-2014, 08:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default Vegetarian "Meat Loaf" Patties from TVP, Beans, and Spices

Both my husband and I think this tastes like my ground beef meatloaf. It came out as a "keeper recipe" on the first try.

Recipe yields nine two ounce patties

Ingredients:

1/2 small onion minced OR 1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion rehydrated in an equal amount of water
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup TVP (textured soy veggie protein)-- divided
15 oz can black soybeans or your favorite canned beans, drained (but reserve juice)
IF BEANS ARE UNSALTED 1 teaspoon lite salt or salt substitute
1 1/2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons zero cholesterol egg substitute

These are the spices I used, but use whatever you like in sausage, meatloaf, or burgers:
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teasspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon. rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:
1. If using fresh onion, mince and saute it in olive oil until clear. If using dehydrated onion, rehydrate in an equal amount of water.

2. Bring half a cup of water to a boil and add 1/2 cup TVP. Stir and let stand covered for 2-3 minutes.

3. In a food processor mash the beans with lite salt or salt substitute until at least the size of grains of rice, but do not puree.

4. In a large bowl, combine the hydrated TVP, remaining dry TVP, onion, Parmesan cheese, and all the spices. Mix well, then stir in the egg substitute and the mashed beans.

5. Put the mixture back in the food processor and pulse until the mixture is about the consistency of sugar cookie dough. If it looks too thick, thin a little with reserved bean juice. If too thin, you could add more dry TVP to serve as a binder.

Form into patties--I got nine 2 ounce patties.

Preheat a non-stick skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Fry until nicely browned on both sides.

Note: my mixture was just slightly more moist than desired, but I didn't want to add more binding ingredients, so after the patties were cooked, I took the skillet off the heat and flipped the patties once more and let them set in the residual heat until the skillet was cooled. They came out perfect.

Nutrition facts per for entire recipe:
Calories 852; total fat 37.1g; sat fat 7g; poly fat 13.8g; mono fat 15.1g; total carbs 55.9g; fiber 38.4g, protein 81.3g; cholesterol .66mg; sodium 298.4mg

Nutrition facts per 2 oz. patty:
Calories 94; total fat 4.1g; sat fat 8g; poly fat 1.5g; mono fat 1.7g; total carbs 6.1g; fiber 4.2g ' protein 9g; cholesterol .66mg; sodium 32.8mg
Old 04-10-2014, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

I found an interesting recipe for TVP 'bacon bits.' The proportions in the recipe didn't seem right to me, so I'll just give you the gist of it, because I had to tweak it to my taste:

Put TVP granules in a bowl (start with a half-cup so you don't waste TVP if it doesn't work out to your satisfaction) and add a mixture of water, liquid smoke, and soy sauce in equal measures. You can use a lot less soy sauce to make it lower-sodium. Taste to adjust.

Add maybe half of the liquid mixture at first and stir the TVP well. Stir from time to time until the liquid has been absorbed. Then add the rest of the liquid and repeat the stirring. When it has absorbed a lot of the liquid, it does not get soft and mushy, but there won't be much liquid remaining in the bowl. Taste the TVP for its 'bacon-y' flavor and adjust as you do this.

Spray PAM on a baking sheet. Or use a silpat baking sheet or parchment paper. Spread the TVP on the baking pan and flatten it down into a somewhat thin 'sheet' with a spatula or spoon. Bake at 400 degrees for maybe 10 minutes and check from time to time. When it looks like the edges might be browning, take the pan out and cool.

The crumbly mixture that results should taste like bacon bits.

If you try this and come up with a sure way to get the right texture and taste, let me know. What I have now are lower-sodium bacon 'bits' which I used to top a baked potato with non-fat cottage cheese. It did taste good.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Kathy, can you give the measurements they said in the recipe? I wouldn't know where to start by guessing. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Vegan Bacon Bits | Hell Yeah It's Vegan!

My favorite vegan recipe site. I'm not a vegan, but I love the recipes.

I guess what's important in the blog's recipe is that the boiling water is added. I just used room temperature water. Didn't seem to make much of a difference.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:12 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, Thanks for this great post specially for this great vegan recipe. I have a blog based on healthy food recipes. Do visit.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Over the weekend, I tried these two combinations:

mashed potatoes + cooked eggplant (mashed together): an unusual taste! For some reason, it tastes like a mild sweet potato mash to me.

butter + miso: I used half butter and half barley miso. Maybe it was because the miso was particularly delicious, this was a great combination. Salty, so beware if you are on a low-salt diet! I'm always diluting butter with something else, even if just olive oil (which doesn't reduce the fat, it just modifies the fat). The butter miso mix is my new favorite because the miso does not have many calories.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Banned

No, don't have any recipe
Old 04-28-2014, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default Seasoned Mock Ground Beef Crumbles made with TVP

Seasoned Mock Ground Beef Crumbles made with TVP (textured soy veggie protein)

Yield about 355g or 2 1/2 cups--5 servings of 1/2 cup or 71g each

Easy recipe and my DH says it tastes VERY good.

Mern's adaption from original recipe at Homemade Meatless Crumbles Recipe | Genki Kitty's Blog

Enjoy as a taco filling, on salads, in pasta or in casseroles; or use as a base for chili and in other recipes that call for browned ground beef, taking into consideration the seasonings used.

Ingredients:

1 cup water
1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce (I used Braggs Liquid Aminos)
1 tablespoon tomato sauce (or you could use ketchup or tomato paste)
1 tablespoon oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional and I used it)
1/8-1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional--1/4 tsp. makes it mildly spicy.
1 cup dry TVP (textured soy veggie protein--I use Bob's Red Mill brand)

Directions:

Place water in a shallow microwaveable dish such as a glass pie plate.

Sprinkle in all the rest of the ingredients except for the dry TVP and stir well with a whisk or fork.

Stir in the dry TVP and cover the dish with plastic wrap.

Microwave on high for four minutes. Carefully remove plastic wrap.

Microwave uncovered an additional one minute on high if a more dry texture is desired.

Serve hot or cool for future use.

This can be stored in the freezer or fridge in an air-tight container or zip-lock bag.

Nutrition counts for entire recipe: 496 calories; 14.2g fat; 2g sat fat; 2.1g poly fat; 10g mono fat; 38.4g total carbs; 18.9g fiber; 19.5g net carbs; 10g protein, zero cholesterol, 2342.4mg sodium

Nutrition counts for 1/2 cup serving or 71g: 99 calories; 2.9g fat; .4g sat fat; .42g poly fat; 2g mono fat; total carbs 7.7g; fiber 3.8g; net carbs 3.9g; 10g protein; zero cholesterol; 468mg sodium
Old 05-01-2014, 05:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default Single Serving Vegetarian Chili

This is easy--made in one bowl and microwaved until heated through.

Note: I used just 1/4 cup tomato sauce and a splash of water to save carbs, but one could omit the water and use more tomato sauce if a thicker sauce is desired.

--1/2 cup (71g) Seasoned Mock Ground Beef Crumbles (recipe below) OR 1/2 cup Morning Star Farms Grillers Recipe Crumbles
--4 tablespoons tomato sauce or to taste
--1/2 cup canned black beans (I use black soybeans)
--1/4 cup or 1 oz. your favorite cheese to eat with chili (I use reduced fat Mexican)
--Optional splash of water for a thinner sauce or to save carbs
--chili powder to taste
Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Tofu, flavored cream cheese, and spinach pita

Tofu is a great protein source that pretty much takes on the flavor of whatever spices and seasoning one adds to it. You can adapt this suggestion to your liking using your favorite bread, cheese, and seasonings. This was my super-easy lunch today:

Tofu, tomato and basil cream cheese, and spinach pita

Ingredients:

--half a pita bread (mine was low carb)
--one wedge Laughing Cow Light Mozzarella Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil cream cheese
--3 oz. extra firm tofu (well drained of any liquid and sliced very thin)
--seasoning to taste (I used Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Table Blend)
fresh spinach to taste

Directions:

Spread the inside of the pita evenly with the cream cheese
Cut the tofu into very thin slices and sprinkle liberally on both sides with seasoning.
Place the tofu and spinach into the bread and enjoy.