Notices

Losing Motivation

Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Losing Motivation

This is just a depressing rant... so feel free to skip it if you want.

I'm lacking motivation today. I started this journey on March 28th at 217 lbs. It is now May 13 and I'm down to 197.2 lbs (I'm 5'8"). The problem is, I see no change. I wear scrubs all day long, so that's no indicator of progress. I've tried measurements but that doesn't work out because I think I keep changing the area I measure so my numbers are never right. Bought a pair of 16 jeans, but I think it's a very big 16, because my 20's still fit too. (I don't understand how after a 20 lb loss, the same clothes still fit) I'm still wearing 2x tops. I went to the second hand store and bought some clothes in size xl & l. I feel as though they are never going to fit. They look way too small. I just want to see a small change...anything will do. I've been working so hard with watching what I'm eating and increasing my activity a little but nothing changes. I feel like I'm failing. .

Well, thanks to all who took the time to read my disheartening rant. Hope I didn't depress you too much...just had to get it off my chest.

Ps. I'm usually a very positive person...today is just not that day....

Last edited by dizzy_44; 05-12-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 PM
FitDay Member

I know how you feel! I've gone to 235 to about 212 (I'm trying not to weigh myself this week, so HOPEFULLY I'm lower), and I'm still wearing my 18 and 20's. You mentioned you were trying to fit into a size 16 from being a size 20- have you tried 18's? Otherwise, you're skipping a size there!

Keep in mind, you could be losing in places you aren't measuring, such as your calves, arms, face, hands, feet, all over (I noticed, I'm losing in my rib cage, my bras are getting looser because of it- I wish my cup size would shrink already though!). It WILL be worth it in the end. It will only not be worth it if you give in now. There's very little chance you will not be down a size in the next 20lbs, so keep at it, and I will too!

Also- one thing that I think is helping me is also working on fitness goals, so it's not ALL about the weight loss. I want to be able to do full pushups and chin ups, so I use the push up bar and chin up machine every other day in my strength training routine. I want to be able to jog comfortably, so I started to hit the treadmill for 30 minutes after my weights to walk 2 minutes, jog at 5 for 1 minute, and back and forth, soon I know I'll be jogging more than walking. I feel so good afterwards!

You might want to think about strength training, if you're not incorporating it already- that's where you're going to see the most significant inch loss and fat loss.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
FitDay Member

Hey Dizzy...I know how you feel. I've lost 24lbs since I started and while all my clothes do still fit - they fit way better! I was basically cheating myself with the sizes I was wearing before, so my jeans were pretty tight and my tops didn't look that great either. Now, my jeans are a lot looser and my tops are a lot more flattering. I've been the same weight for 2 months now - that plateau thing, and while I was hacked off that I wasn't losing any more, I've come to the conclusion that at least I didn't gain anything back (was ill for a few weeks so couldn't exercise and just sort of got out of the habit), but need to kick on for the next stage of loss. I'm kinda rambling now, but what I'm trying to say, is be proud of your achievement, we all know folk who talk about losing weight - you're one of the few who are actually doing something about it! So well done...and keep your chin up....and try to concentrate on the small achievements.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 PM
FitDay Member

hey hick, I know what you mean about the whole tricking yourself with your clothing size! I kept telling myself I was an 18, but I was a reaaallly tight 18, probably more of a 20. I fit into my 18's perfectly now, but I, just like the OP, am really wanting to fit into those 16's!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Dizzy! You and I have similar stats! I'm 5'9" and started on 3/30 at 210 and am now down to 195. No real changes for me as well. I think it all depends on your body type and all. I'm a "pear shape" gal, so the weight I'm loosing looks (and according to the measurements) to be coming off in tiny little increments from everywhere EXCEPT my HUGE thighs!!!!! I literally am losing it from my arms, calf's, neck, waist but NOT my thighs yet. So basically all my clothes fit exactly the same still.

Don't be disheartened, you aren't the only one! Stick with it, we're all here for you!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

First of all scrubs are the most unflattering clothing on the face of the planet!!! So there is no going by that, especially since you'll be able to wear the same size scrubs 50 pounds less than now, by just cinching in the waist string.

When I first started dieting I was wearing 22's and 24's. I had a pile of 20's that hadn't seen the light of day in 4-5 years. Then all of a sudden at about 30 pounds off or so I could wear some of them. Then I could wear all of them and I was also still wearing my 22's and 24's. I sort of decided at some point that I needed a rule of thumb for getting rid of my fat pants. So I decided that when I could get them on and off without unbuttoning, it was time to ship them off. Now my wardrobe contains clothing in every size from 14 to 20. I can wear all of it, although some of the size 20's are really big. The 14's are capri's they fit fine, but I have at least 2 pair of 16's that won't button. You can't really go by the size of your pants, because the clothing industry messes with your mind - seriously.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 AM
FitDay Member

Dizzy,

You didn't depress me. You made me feel better because I know what you mean and it does SUCK!! It is hard to see where you are losing. I was so frustrated at one time because I noticed that my arms and quads were trimming down. Instead of being proud of that, I was angry because what do I care if my arms and legs look smaller when the biggest part of me is smack in the middle. I still feel that way.
Rock on though. The weight you have lost IS a big deal. You WILL see a difference. Take a picture of yourself and compare in a month and thereafter, maybe you will be able to see it better. I wish I had done that before I started this journey a year ago. I know I am different, but I had avoided cameras that I have few pics to compare it with now.
Also, try to think of what you can do, physically, compared to b4. Maybe you are STRONGER and that is a big deal, too.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:54 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks all, for your kind and honest words of encouragement. It's nice to know that someone understands and that I'm not going through this alone. I guess I just want to see changes too fast and today was the day I had a pity party for me.

It's evening here now and I'm feeling better about myself. Even went out today and bought a pair of 18 jeans (they're too loose).I'm holding out for the 30 lb mark, and hopfully be able to see something then.

I had planned a reward for myself this summer when I reach 175 lbs (weight restriction) but that seems so far away. I'm gonna keep going and see what happens though.

Thanks again.

Last edited by dizzy_44; 05-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM
FitDay Member

I don't have as much to lose as you, but I hear ya on the scrubs. My big wake-up call that I realllllly needed to lose some weight was when I realized my drawstring-waist scrubs were in danger of getting too small to wear. I weighed 182 at that point. Today I am at 154, and was still wearing the exact same scrubs. Nobody at work had really noticed the weight loss. I bought some new scrubs, ones that actually have an empire waist detail to the cut, and let me tell you I shocked a few people when I wore them today. I am still wearing size 10 pants, though the women's size 10s are loose and the juniors ones I have fit perfectly. At 182 I was telling myself I was a 12, but in reality I was probably a 14 at least. All my 12's were elastic waist, spandex or drawstring, and now that I'm able to be honest with myself, they were all stretched to the max. I promised myself new clothes at 149, as I will officially be out of the overweight category then. I honestly don't know what size I am anymore. I saw Almeeker's post awhile back on getting rid of pants when you can get them on and off without unbuttoning them. I tried that trick on my pants that night, and found I could do that with several pairs that I THOUGHT fit pretty well. I hadn't really noticed any changes before then.

You have lost 20 pounds in under 2 months, that's nothing to sneeze at. Keep at it. One day soon you'll wake up and notice the difference.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 PM
FitDay Member

Morning all....the glories of small losses...I lost 1 lb this week, which doesn't sound much, but that's me in the 10st something category at last!! Haven't been here for years, so feeling pretty happy..Did the trouser on and off with the button done thing last night and really need a couple of new work suits...just need to start gaining pounds in my bank account as well as I'm losing them off my waist!

Sorry for rambling, but am stupidly happy considering it's such a small loss....

Thank you for making me look at things differently....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.