View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Kathy13118
Super Moderator

I found an interesting recipe for TVP 'bacon bits.' The proportions in the recipe didn't seem right to me, so I'll just give you the gist of it, because I had to tweak it to my taste:

Put TVP granules in a bowl (start with a half-cup so you don't waste TVP if it doesn't work out to your satisfaction) and add a mixture of water, liquid smoke, and soy sauce in equal measures. You can use a lot less soy sauce to make it lower-sodium. Taste to adjust.

Add maybe half of the liquid mixture at first and stir the TVP well. Stir from time to time until the liquid has been absorbed. Then add the rest of the liquid and repeat the stirring. When it has absorbed a lot of the liquid, it does not get soft and mushy, but there won't be much liquid remaining in the bowl. Taste the TVP for its 'bacon-y' flavor and adjust as you do this.

Spray PAM on a baking sheet. Or use a silpat baking sheet or parchment paper. Spread the TVP on the baking pan and flatten it down into a somewhat thin 'sheet' with a spatula or spoon. Bake at 400 degrees for maybe 10 minutes and check from time to time. When it looks like the edges might be browning, take the pan out and cool.

The crumbly mixture that results should taste like bacon bits.

If you try this and come up with a sure way to get the right texture and taste, let me know. What I have now are lower-sodium bacon 'bits' which I used to top a baked potato with non-fat cottage cheese. It did taste good.
Kathy13118 is offline   Reply With Quote