View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #49 (permalink)
Mern
FitDay Member

Nutty TVP (textured soy veggie protein)

This is a lower carb adaption of JediMindTricks' Nutty Quinoa which she posted at VEGETARIAN DISHES--Add yours if you wish on 3-30-14.

Please read through the directions as there is a simple suggestion at the end if you would prefer a more moist version.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
2 cups rough chopped broccoli slaw
4 tablespoons slivered almonds
3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (omit if you don't like a kick)
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup TVP--textured soy veggie protein (I use Bob's Red Mill)
2 teaspoons zero trans fat margarine (optional)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
optional extra vegetable broth to taste

Directions:
1. In a pot or skillet heat oil over medium high. Add in broccoli slaw and cook 2 minutes.
2. Add almonds, sunflower seeds and red pepper flakes and cook 2 minutes or until broccoli slaw is desired texture. Put into a bowl and set aside.
3. In the pot bring the veggie broth to a boil. Stir in TVP and optional margarine. Cover and let stand two-three minutes.
4. Take off lid, add back in the broccoli and nuts mixture, stir until heated through.
6. Stir in parsley flakes.

Note:
I have never eaten quinoa as it's too high carb for me, so I am totally unfamiliar with the texture of cooked quinoa. But this dish is great made with TVP. I loved it as it came out on my first try--veggies were crisp tender and the finished dish was loose and fluffy. But if you like a softer or more moist finished dish you could add a little more veggie broth and cook a couple minutes longer.
Weight 8/14/2014 lowest in a long time 224.2
Weight 9/23/2014 doctor visit 233
Weight 11/14/2014 228.8
Mern is offline   Reply With Quote