View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mern
FitDay Member

Default Vegetarian "Meat Loaf" Patties from TVP, Beans, and Spices

Both my husband and I think this tastes like my ground beef meatloaf. It came out as a "keeper recipe" on the first try.

Recipe yields nine two ounce patties

Ingredients:

1/2 small onion minced OR 1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion rehydrated in an equal amount of water
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup TVP (textured soy veggie protein)-- divided
15 oz can black soybeans or your favorite canned beans, drained (but reserve juice)
IF BEANS ARE UNSALTED 1 teaspoon lite salt or salt substitute
1 1/2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons zero cholesterol egg substitute

These are the spices I used, but use whatever you like in sausage, meatloaf, or burgers:
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teasspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon. rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:
1. If using fresh onion, mince and saute it in olive oil until clear. If using dehydrated onion, rehydrate in an equal amount of water.

2. Bring half a cup of water to a boil and add 1/2 cup TVP. Stir and let stand covered for 2-3 minutes.

3. In a food processor mash the beans with lite salt or salt substitute until at least the size of grains of rice, but do not puree.

4. In a large bowl, combine the hydrated TVP, remaining dry TVP, onion, Parmesan cheese, and all the spices. Mix well, then stir in the egg substitute and the mashed beans.

5. Put the mixture back in the food processor and pulse until the mixture is about the consistency of sugar cookie dough. If it looks too thick, thin a little with reserved bean juice. If too thin, you could add more dry TVP to serve as a binder.

Form into patties--I got nine 2 ounce patties.

Preheat a non-stick skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Fry until nicely browned on both sides.

Note: my mixture was just slightly more moist than desired, but I didn't want to add more binding ingredients, so after the patties were cooked, I took the skillet off the heat and flipped the patties once more and let them set in the residual heat until the skillet was cooled. They came out perfect.

Nutrition facts per for entire recipe:
Calories 852; total fat 37.1g; sat fat 7g; poly fat 13.8g; mono fat 15.1g; total carbs 55.9g; fiber 38.4g, protein 81.3g; cholesterol .66mg; sodium 298.4mg

Nutrition facts per 2 oz. patty:
Calories 94; total fat 4.1g; sat fat 8g; poly fat 1.5g; mono fat 1.7g; total carbs 6.1g; fiber 4.2g ' protein 9g; cholesterol .66mg; sodium 32.8mg
Weight 8/14/2014 lowest in a long time 224.2
Weight 9/23/2014 doctor visit 233
Weight 11/14/2014 228.8
Mern is offline   Reply With Quote