Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- 3 large dried pasilla or New Mexico chiles
- 1 1 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
-2 Tbsp + 2 tsp canola oil, divided
- 1 med white onion, chopped 1/4"
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 4 c water
- 4c chopped spinach
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large ripe avocados, diced
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheese (reduced fat)
- sour cream (reduced fat or fat free), optional
1. Stem and seed chiles. Quick dry roast them in a skillet.
2. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a soup pot. Add onions, cook, stirring frequently, 6-9 minutes until golden. Add garlic for last minute or so. Put in blender.
3. Blend onions, garlic, tomatoes with juice & chiles until smooth.
4. Return the pot to medium heat. Add puree and stir until consistency of tomato paste, about 6 minutes. Add broth and water. Heat.
5. Add spinach just a couple minutes before serving. Cook until wilted. Add salt. Add corn.
6. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese, avacado, sour cream and broken tortilla chip. The toppings really make the dish stand out. Instead of tortilla chips, try baking low carb tortillas or Hungry Girl flatouts until they are crisp. I'm not sure if that will work or not in a soup, but it's work a try.
Easily make this recipe carniverous by adding cooked, diced chicken.
Start (1/9/14): 276.8
Goal (4/21/2015): 130ish
11 lbs to go until next mini goal.
Next big goal: ONEderland 12/25/2014