Notices

Is Fasting Healthy?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Is Fasting Healthy?

I've read that fasting on a regular basis can be good. There's an idea that I've heard that fasting allows your digestive system to "rest."

I went and did some research on this on WebMD (Is Fasting Healthy?) and found some mixed results, with people on both sides.

I'd like to know what you all think--does anyone here fast or have had experience with it? Do you think that one should fast, or is simply keeping your portions down good enough?

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this! : )
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

I think intermittent fasting has a pretty good rep (reputation). It's just fasting on and then off. Like this, for example: stop eating at 5 p.m. and start eating again at 8 a.m. the next day. Then eat normally until you start it again at 5 p.m. There's a lot of information on the internet about how people do different kinds of intermittent fasts, but that is just one way. I think the easiest part is sleeping through the fast!

For longer fasts, ask your doctor. He or she would have a better opinion than mine!
Old 02-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

I think that fasting just accomplishes what any calorie deficit accomplishes.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 AM
FitDay Member

there are different types of fasting methods that I've read about. I've also read from multiple sources that its effectiveness for women is well below the results men have seen from using IF (intermittent fasting) methods. It basically breaks down to the calorie deficit though there are people who claim that the fast actually puts your body in a mode where it will burn fat rather than muscle when in a fasted state. Most IF diets use a "window" for caloric intake. I have been experimenting with IF a little myself and I go with an 18/6 split. basically 18 hrs of fasting and take in my daily calories in a 6 hour window. I have also done a couple periods of 24 hour fasts. where I would eat dinner one night, and not eat again until dinner the following night. I haven't noticed any insane results beyond what eating on a regular diet with caloric deficit has shown. However, I enjoy IF simply because I have learned to control my hunger. The first 24 hour fast was a little tough.. About a week later when I did my second, it was a little easier. It gives you a real perspective on the difference between "mental hunger" and actual "body hunger". For me that has been the plus side of IF. Learning the difference between my mind telling me it's time to eat out of habit, or boredom... and my body telling me that there is a real hunger there. Makes it much easier when you know you can control the mental hunger, to pass up junky food while on the road, or at work, etc... So you know you can wait until you get home and have a GOOD healthy meal.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 PM
FitDay Member

In my option fasting is worst and one should avoid it, as there are a lot of side effects of it such as loss in immunity. To lose weight, one must do cardio exercises, Ventouse Minceur and running. These are the best ways to reduce weight.

Last edited by saerlacon; 03-23-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by saerlacon
In my option fasting is worst and one should avoid it, as there are a lot of side effects of it such as loss in immunity. To lose weight, one must do cardio exercises, and running. These are the best ways to reduce weight.
I'm sorry but there have been tons of research done on weight loss theories and the "best" way to lose weight isn't always cardio... As a matter of fact, many many experts will tell you that cardio is not as effective as weight/resistance training for weight loss. The fact that muscle burns more calories than fat is just one of the main reasons weight lifting can be as, or often times MORE effective in weight loss. Not to mention, MANY people are so out of shape that they can't get a "good" cardio workout in, whereas the less aerobic weight lifting will actually be a much easier method for people who are just getting started. Honestly, weight loss is about 80% diet, and 20% activity... and in the cases of people who are more overweight, it may be even more lopsided than 80%.

Now I'm not saying to cut out cardio completely, cardio in my opinion is more for building a healthy respritory system more than for weight loss.... People seem to think that lifting will make you bulky, and cardio will make you cut... the truth is, it's actually pretty difficult to get "bulked up" and lifting weights for exercise will NOT bulk you up. It will help your muscles get stronger, and lean. Don't take my word for it though.... Please go do the research