Notices

Whole Wheat Flour

Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default Whole Wheat Flour

I just made chocolate chip cookies with Whole Wheat Flour. (Recipe was on the back of the Gold Medal Whole Wheat Flour bag.) They are really good! (I gave myself Mother's Day off of the diet, although I did work out.

We also had pancakes made with 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat this morning.

While this doesn't reduce calories, it replaces a simple carb with a complex one.

Does anyone else have a recipe they like to do with Whole Wheat flour instead of white?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:26 AM
FitDay Member

Pizza crust. Yummmm.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default White whole wheat flour

I'm spoiled, I live a mile away from King Arthur Flour's store. They have a white whole wheat flour that I substitute for white flour, no adjustment required on non rising recipes.

Dave
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 PM
FitDay Member

I just looked it up, and you can buy from them online! When I run out of what I have, I might order from them.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Something interesting you could try is chickpea flour. I have no idea how it would affect the taste, but chickpea flour is what I have at home. As far as I know it's higher in fiber, protein, and iron and lower in total carbohydrate by volume compared to whole wheat flour, so it might be an interesting experiment!

-Nik
Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 AM
FitDay Member

For once I'm going to agree with tandoorichicken, chickpea flour is really good stuff! Our house was gluten free for a long time. If you want some good recipes with chickpea flour (aka garbanzo bean flour) check out the cookbooks by Bette Hagman, aka "The Gluten Free Gourmet". She has a ton of them out there and every last one of them is a keeper.

One thing I might caution is that if your body is not used to ground beans or really beans of any kind, you'll want to ease into using chickpea flour, because like any good bean, it contains the potential for, um, some GI music.

As for taste, it's a subtle difference, sort of like the difference in taste between say a slice of whole wheat bread and a bite of chickpeas, similar but a little different all the same. Chickpea flour also does not contain gluten like wheat flour does, so it tends to make a heavier product and it's a bit complicated getting it to rise. Think "heavy" German bakery bread rather than "Wonderbread" and you get the picture.

Last edited by almeeker; 05-12-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 PM
FitDay Member

I always sub in Whole wheat flour because thats what I have and it always works out, pie crust, cake, cookies, waffles, gravy etc.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:54 AM
FitDay Member

My house is gluten free (for some of us) and I always use the Bob's Red Mill GF flour (it has a couple of bean flours) directly in place of regular flour. With the xanthan gum it works great and the taste and texture is almost the same.

When I don't bake GF, I substitute at least half of the white flour for whole wheat and it works great.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bsaz
I just made chocolate chip cookies with Whole Wheat Flour. (Recipe was on the back of the Gold Medal Whole Wheat Flour bag.) They are really good! (I gave myself Mother's Day off of the diet, although I did work out.

We also had pancakes made with 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat this morning.

While this doesn't reduce calories, it replaces a simple carb with a complex one.

Does anyone else have a recipe they like to do with Whole Wheat flour instead of white?

I just found a written log that I had for my ex, when he was on an eating program. I didn't think he needed to lose weight and he met the army standards for weight, but I would come up with recipes. I had forgotten all about that. I had muffin mixes that I had come up with from scratch. Fiber One had muffins at their site and I make the muffins with wheat flour, as I think they listed, for the white flour and sugar-free applesauce for the oil and lastly egg whites and splenda for the eggs and sugar. I also add a quarter cup of walnut pieces and dried fruit. I prefer that over cooked raisins. And then there is the salt, baking soda. I also put Fiber One and softened it in a cup of milk. The original, to me, wood like flavor to add fiber. Each muffin is six grams.

I remember when we were stationed in Mannheim, he would get bran muffins and they, to me, were yuck. I think that mine are good and only 100-127 cals each. I think it has to be tweaked to your own taste. I am going to try carrot muffins next. I make them and freeze them on a pan and then drop them into freezer bag for later defrosting. Take them out of the tin cupcake foils first before freezing.