Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Why do i exercise better on an empty stomach? >

Why do i exercise better on an empty stomach?

Notices

Why do i exercise better on an empty stomach?

Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Why do i exercise better on an empty stomach?

I've read that you should eat a little something before exercising, like a least an hour beforehand. Something like fruit and yogurt, or a banana. But every time I've tried to do this, I find I can't exercise for as long. It's like I have less energy and get tired really quickly.

I usually start at 5am with core exercises, as I have arthritis in my spine and a slipped disc. I need to strengthen these muscles, especially my lower back, then I'll mix it up on different days, eg, The Biggest Loser on the Wii, Wii Fit Plus, Tae Bo, running, stretch and tone, free weights, whatever. I'm able to exercise for longer on an empty stomach - nearly 2 hours this morning with energy to spare.

Is anyone else the same?

Some experts think this is ok and others don't.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

The only time I feel like an empty stomach interferes with exercise is when I find myself distracted because all I can think about is how hungry I am!

It works for you - I'd call that a 'win.'
Old 03-10-2014, 06:48 AM
FitDay Member

I don't exercise for 2 hrs but I do exercise on an empty stomach. I hate the full bloated feeling that I get when I try to workout after eating.

If I have to work out in the evening I usually wait an hour or two after eating but I feel best when I work out as soon as I send hubby off to work in the morning. I have usually had a half glass of water and finish it during my workout. That is how I feel the best.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

I too exercise on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. When I exercise in evening, I try to do it after work and before dinner so my stomach is pretty empty. And you're right, I've read opposing argurments from the 'professionals' but I say do what works for you!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:32 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys. I will stick with that. Just feels easier on an empty stomach. Two hours exercise sounds like a lot but the core exercises are anything from 45 to an hour long and they're not exhausting.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 PM
FitDay Member

Even I have heard about this.
But from where you will get the energy for working out if we do it empty stomach?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sheenahines
Even I have heard about this.
But from where you will get the energy for working out if we do it empty stomach?
Loosely explained,the "energy" will come from the Glycogen / glucose stored in your liver and muscles and will give you the needed energy, but won't last too long.
I prefer running/ exercising on an empty/ mostly empty stomach and will supplement with a protein drink/ energy bar during my work out to keep the "gas" in my tank so I don't crash.
And then eat a protein rich meal with some complex carbs after my workout.

However, this does not work for everybody, my GF is the exact opposite, she cannot workout without having something to eat first. Your body will tell you
Old 08-17-2014, 12:07 AM
FitDay Member

Really good subject I did not know that is better on empty stomach... but good to know
Old 08-25-2014, 04:45 PM
FitDay Member

In my sport, I have found that I compete best on a near-empty stomach. However, I think for me this is because it's what I'm use to with training. I always eat a huge meal before (and after) practice, but we don't do competition-prep runthroughs until the last 10mins or so (it will have been maybe 4-5 hours since last eating).

Of course, there is still the energy issue - without some caloric intake, how can you keep from crashing? I found that at competitions (when I need to eat because I'm there all day, but don't want to ruin performance), eating nonsolid foods seems to not affect me too much. (Cottage cheese, peanut butter, applesauce, hummus...etc.)

Everyone has certain foods that they can or can't eat before working out. Personally, I can't eat anything with saturated fat right before practices. It just takes experimentation - you could probably find something light that will work for you, if you have any particular interest in being able to eat before exercise. I recommend nonsolid protein, but you really just have to try things.

"Expert" advice on this subject is pretty conflicting. So...I would say just do what makes sense to you. Personally, I think you would be better off from an athletic perspective if you ate something light before a morning workout. But, if you don't want to, who am I to stop you? I can't say the facts are on my side, because there are just as many "facts" on yours. I eat on a schedule like many highly competitive swimmers do. That's because I'm a highly competitive swimmer, and it's extremely energy-intensive. When I get up early for physical therapy (for one of my injuries) instead of swimming, I still eat before (to wake myself up), but could probably get by find without.

In the end...it's all up to you. Experiment, then do whatever seems to work best for you.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned

I am exactly the same. It is so much more comfortable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.