Notices

Motivational Thread - March 3 - March 9

Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 PM
FitDay Member

Default Motivational Thread - March 3 - March 9

Good morning, everyone!

We had freezing rain topped with 3 inches of snow overnight and it's sleeting again right now. When I woke up this morning schools were on a two hour delay, but as I suspected it would, that got changed to a school closing. My grandkids are not happy about that because they have exceeded their allowed snow days and have to make up the last two in June.

Aimee, sorry you felt so bad about yesterday's lunch of lasagna and bread that you skipped dinner. (I'd have loved to have a sip of your whiskey. LOL) Know that it happens to virtually all of us from time to time. I quote two wise people: our thread member Cassie who says "It's all about averages" and my doctor who says "You don't have to be perfect, just better than you USED to be." Maybe if that happens again, instead of skipping dinner, you could have a healthful salad, light on dressing or some other non-starchy veggies and low carb fruit such as cantaloupe or berries. Be proud of yourself for all you've accomplished to date. Big hug to ya!

My goals this week are still simple, but expanded:
Eat on plan, having small meal days as often as possible
Track food daily
Exercise daily--minimum of 30 minutes
Minimum 48 oz water daily

Today's small meal planned menu:

Flaxmeal pancake with sugar free, high fiber apricot preserves

Low carb veggie soup and fresh strawberries

Pizza using low carb tortilla as the crust--will try an adaption of Jedi's using Laughing Cow Mozzarella, Sun Dried Tomato and Basil cream cheese, additional tomatoes, and mushroom, peppers, and onions sauteed in butter substitute (low sat fat, no trans fat.) Jedi, thanks for that idea. My mouth is watering as I type this. LOL

Tuna salad with ranch dressing instead of mayo and celery stuffed with soy nut butter

Super lean crockpot pork, cooked spinach

Snacks: two protein shakes and choose from almonds, cold skinless chicken and a square of unsweetened baking chocolate. (I'm a true chocoholic-love chocolate, but don't always need it to be sweet.)

Last edited by Mern; 03-02-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning. Thanks for starting us Mern.

My goal are to cut out excess wasted calories such as coffeemate. I am also going for less dairy. I am trying to figure out what foods make my arthritis worse. I also want to increase my activity to average 2600 calories burnt each day.

Have a great week everyone. Lets get ready for spring!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:28 AM
FitDay Member

Mary, nice goals for this week! Do you eat much cheese? I'm saving some dairy calories by choosing Laughing Cow brand flavored cream cheese wedges most of the time over regular sliced, shredded, or bar cheese. I don't know if you have those in Canada. Here they're in the dairy aisle with the cream cheese and come in a flat, round cardboard container. The 21g wedges go from only 35 to 50 calories depending on the variety chosen. I hope you can figure out what foods make your arthritis worse.

I'm down a net of 2.4 lbs. for the week on my restart and 5 lbs. since my last doctor visit, so I'll take it! I need to lose a little less than 2 lbs. per week to meet my mini-goal of 220 by March 28. Quite doable.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Goals will be the same as last week

1. Stay within carb limit (40 grams of carb per meal)
2. 4 servings of fruit and veggie
3. 6 glasses of water
4. Exercise 4X for 30 min

Personal goals
1. Clean out basement (as much as I can do myself)
2. Manage stress
3. Journal

Jenn
Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning fitday buddies I'm late to the game this morning....but already had a motivational quote ready to start off a new week.

~Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow". ~ Mary Anne Radmacher

I picked today's quote as a reminder to myself (and to anyone who is motivated by words) that we all have courage within us! It takes courage to do something you've been afraid to do, to keep trying even when the scale isn't exactly cooperating and it takes courage to change your path.

So here's the thing...I never set weekly goals because...honestly...I'm afraid of setting goals and failing. If I don't set weekly goals, I can't fail. However, I'm learning that if I don't set short term goals other than a weight goal, I may not keep moving forward on this journey. I'm extremely determined to hit my March goal by the 28th. I don't like to count calories and don't plan to count calories for the rest of my life. Once I'm maintaining, I hope that as long as I'm being honest with myself, then I won't need to count. This has been working for me so far, but in order to push forward and reach my weight goal, I feel I will need to count for the short term. Having said that, here are my goals for the coming week:

1. Track calories
2. Exercise 7x (scheduled morning interval workout)
3. Do doubles (second workout) 4x
3. Drink 3 litres of water daily
4. No alcohol

Mern - You're doing so well! So glad you came back to join us!

Mary - Is that a typo? 2600 calories burned through exercise is a lot of work! How do you track your calories burned? Do you go by the numbers here on fitday or do you use a heart rate monitor?

Jenn - Now that I took the leap into setting fitness/nutrition goals, maybe I'll join you setting personal goals...someday

Have a great day all!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Jenn, nice goals on food and fitness as well as on your personal goals. How's your Mom?

Deb, thanks so much for your encouragement to me. Also, that's an encouraging quote for all of us. It's wonderful that we each have our own way of doing things and that whatever works for each of us is just fine as long as we eat healthful balanced meals and do sensible exercise. I mostly SHOULD log my food for a lifetime to manage my blood sugar and cholesterol which are normal through diet and no meds, but high normal. I very much dislike the work of logging, but my other option is to flub up and wind up on meds.

Jedi, using my low carb tortilla certainly is not the same as a bready, crunchy pizza crust you can enjoy, but it works for a substitute for my needs. My "pizza" was delicious, thanks to your idea. I loaded it with two servings of cooked mushrooms and one serving of sauteed peppers and onions and for the cheese used one wedge of Laughing Cow Light Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil cheese.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:18 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, great job on your successes. I'm glad you enjoyed the pizza idea even though yours didn't get crispy like mine did.

Mary, do you mean a total of 2600 calories burned in a day, or 2600 burned in a day by exercising alone?

Jenn, what types of things do you do to manage your stress?

Debbie, welcome to the tracking club. It's not so bad. For me, it really helps in keeping on track and to be honest and accountable with myself.

As for me, I'm going to keep my goal of 3x at the gym. I also need to figure out how to incorporate fruits and vegetables more into my daily diet. I don't particularly care for them. I'll eat them if they're on my plate, but I never know what to buy or how to make them tasty on my own. Which is crazy because I'm a really good cook. I didn't buy hardly any fruits or vegetables this week when I was shopping last night, so I'll probably have to make a trip to Sprouts. I'd also like to lose at least 2 lbs this week. ttotm is due this week, so I don't know how likely that is. We'll see.

Mern, I tried a different Hungry Girl bread with 8 net carbs if you are interested in a change up from a tortilla. It is the whole wheat with flax flatout foldit. 15 carbs with 7g fiber, 7g protein and 90 calories. I just had one and it has a wonderful wheat flavor. It's kind of reminds me of a pita in texture. It's thicker than a tortilla, but thinner than a bread. Very good though. I toasted mine, used garlic & herb laughing cow and added some thin sliced tomato. Yummy. Just thought I'd mention it.

I was 161 on my doctor's scale this morning, so I feel pretty good about that. I need to seriously flush out my system with LOTS of water though. Last night I indulged in Chinese food and when I looked at the report it was 4000mg sodium!!! That will make my scale go haywire for a few days at least.

Wishing everyone a great and successful week!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

Debbie -- 2600 calorie goal is total burn for the 24 hours. Because I am heavier my starting rate is about 2200. I think that is high for my activity level however with the sauna it seems to work out about right. My calorie balance and weight loss since I started are very close to the ratio they should be. I figured it out the other day and was very impressed with how close the weight loss was to what should have been lost given the deficit. As you can tell I like numbers and graphs. That helps keep me journaling. Plus I don't do well if I don't keep track.

Mern your pizza sounds great. I may have to make one one of these days. I'm trying to avoid wheat so I would need a wheat free crust.

Just back from a noon hour walk to try for some extra calories gone. Curling tonight helps. I'll sweep extra hard. Somewhere I read that exercising in the cold helps burn brown fat. Don't know if it's true but I hope it is.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

Goals (win, loss, draw):
Calories in
Calorie balance
Exercise

Mern - Whenever I look at your daily menus it makes me feel bad about what I eat, you've always got such tasty, healthy food planned.

Lildeb - That is a lot of working out you have planned, don't overdo it.

Kumochi - Numbers and graphs are the way to go, easier to analyse
Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 AM
FitDay Member

Got room for one more? I keep trying to come back and not having the nerve to step back in. Last week though I was at my highest weight since I started this whole thing. I have regained 33lbs since I lost 102.

Mern...I'm so happy to see that you are still here and keeping it going.

Mary...no wheat pizza crust? Have you tried the cauliflower recipe? I keep meaning to try it but never get around to it.

The rest of you, you will get to know me if I manage to stick around. I am very talkative once I get going.

Simple goals for first week back
1. post on this thread at least once daily
2. workout daily and record in diary how I feel from it
3. do not eat anything that I didn't bring to work with me or plan unless it's fruit
4. at least three work cups of ice water daily

Off to update my signature to show how much I have regained.

Last edited by wildbeanerz; 03-03-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.