View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
lildebbieg
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumochi View Post
Glad to hear you are all doing well. I was thinking this morning it might be good to post at the end of the month all the gains we have made aside from the scales. My main purpose is improving my fitness although losing weight is an essential part of that.
This morning I remembered reading this post from Mary last week that I meant to respond to but didn't. I love your suggestion Mary and couldn't agree more! The scale certainly doesn't tell the whole picture. I agree it's important to celebrate our NSVs (non-scale victories).

Speaking of NSVs, I had one this morning! I'm wearing a pair of dress pants today that I haven't been able to wear in 5 years! These were the pants that I tried on at the end of the summer that made me realize just how much weight I had gained. For some reason, the number on the scale wasn't resigtering with me (I think I was in denial). Putting those pants on and seeing how far apart the button and button loop were shocked me...I mean shocked me! I've been trying them on periodically throughout the past 6 months and they slowly were easier to button up. This morning I pulled on the pants I normally wear to work and they looked almost too loose, so I grab my target pants and realized they fit nice again! Feels great!

Aimee - I don't count calories. When I first started here at fitday, I was counting calories but it was making me crazy!! I decided that whatever I am doing to lose the weight, I need to be able to do for life, so stop counting. I just do my best to eat well 90% of the time which is something I feel I can do for life. As for how active I am, I workout anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 hour and 40 minutes, 7 days a week. I aim to do a 40 minute interval workout daily in the morning. I mix cardio and strength into each of these workouts. Then 3-4 days a week, I do extra cardio (up to an hour) in the evening which has mostly been the elliptical and sometimes treadmill running. Long term, I plan to keep the daily morning workouts and hope that will be enough to maintain my weight once I reach my goal.

Jedi - Welcome back! It sounds like you're off to a great start and have a good solid plan. That's awesome that your son is doing this with you and keeping you motivated! Motivation can be one of the toughest things....at least in my opinion. As far as protein goes, the protein powder I use has only 120 calories per scoop and I mix it with unsweetened almond milk which is only 40 calories per cup. So 180 calories and I get 20 grams of protein. Having said that, I personally think that unless you're going pretty hard at the exercise, you really don't need to add in a protein shake. The fitness industry is a billion dollar industry so they promote things like protein powders because they make money. Protein powders are good if your workouts are hard enough that you're breaking down muscle to build it up and it's needed for recovery. Having said all that, if you feel sore and tired from your workouts, then you could benefit from adding in extra protein...if not, you may be getting enough protein from your diet. Just my 2 cents.

Jenn - What kind of game to you play on the Wii? Or is it more like an exercise video that you follow along to?

Libby - How is you reading of the Shred Diet coming along? Do you think it's something you're going to tryout or are you just interested in the recipes? I've never heard of it...you'll have give us a preview.

Ian - Hope we didn't scare you away with all the questions about your job

Mern - How was your first day back?

Have an awesome day my fitday buddies!
lildebbieg is offline   Reply With Quote