Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Please, I need help with weight loss and exercise. Extremely desperate!!? >

Please, I need help with weight loss and exercise. Extremely desperate!!?

Notices

Please, I need help with weight loss and exercise. Extremely desperate!!?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:23 PM
FitDay Member

Default Please, I need help with weight loss and exercise. Extremely desperate!!?

Hello you all,

I'm 19 years old, a university student and I weigh 215 pounds. My natural body structure is a little broad (runs in my family) but right now, I am extremely overweight. I want to lose at least 50 pounds. I now have my own place, signed up to the gym, drinking water and eating healthy as well. My question is what exercise routines can I do to achieve maximum weight loss and for it NOT to come back. I have scheduled 1 hour and 15 minutes per day after university for work out and on the weekend, I go in the morning and and then in the afternoon. Many people say to strictly do cardio in order to lose all the excess fat and then do weight lifts and stuff to tone my muscles. DO u guys recommend me doing 30 minutes intervals of different cardio machines such as the stair master, eliptical and the treadmill? Also, on the treadmill, should I run, fast walk, jog, sprint, or keep rotating between these? Lastly, what do you think my morning routines should consist of on the weekends (empty stomach). Any other advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get my life together and finally have confidence in the way I look, so please, any information is welcomed with a smile !!! Thank YOU!!!!

Last edited by Kathy13118; 02-11-2014 at 02:37 AM. Reason: removed links to spam
Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 PM
FitDay Member

In my opinion first of all don't get desperate. everything is possible. you must have to follow up daily practice for exercise. you can start it slowly but go to speed up later on. some types of exercise you can do like squats which is so beneficial. for the diet control you can maintain a diet plan and avoid junk food to eat. there are various solutions for weight loss and exercise. you can easily maintain your health fast.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

You can do it. Nothing is accomplished overnight, so take a deep breath, make your plan. Get a good night's sleep - every day is a new day.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:31 AM
FitDay Member

It sounds like you're on the right track. If you feel physically challenged by the cardio, then you're doing just fine. With time, you can challenge yourself a bit more if you plateau, but for now stick with a machine that you find fun and that gives you the best workout.

Following a good diet (which you seem to be doing) is also important. That, combined with daily exercise, is what will help you lose weight and maintain it. Once you become used to eating healthy and exercising, it's just going to become a permanent part of your life.

When I was 13 I weighed 135 lbs (5 feet tall) and went down to 100 lbs and haven't gained it since (I'm 27 now). I credit changing my diet and incorporating exercise, just as you've done.

Keep up the work! : )
Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 AM
FitDay Member

read, research, and relax. As I've learned in starting my weight loss journey, about 80% of your weight management is going to come from the kitchen. Losing weight and getting healthy doesn't mean you can't enjoy eating... You just have to be aware of your calories in to calories out. Do a little research on BMR (Basal Metobolic Rate). In my opinion, one of the number one reasons I am losing weight, and feel so much better in the 2 months I've been at it, is I don't skip days of tracking my food. I have the phone app for fitday and it makes it very easy to enter foods I eat and keep track of my calories. It has helped me plan meals, and identify when I am starting to go off track with my carbs/protein/fat balance.

I'm not going to tell you not to go all in with your lifestyle change, but I will tell you that it's going to take time to adjust. When I started 2 months ago, at 300lbs, I could barely jog moderately for 15 minutes on an elliptical. 2 months in I am now lifting with dumbells for 20 minutes, then putting in about 35 minutes on the elliptical for cardio in one session. Even with the increased workouts, I can definitely tell when I have a "bad day" as far as what I eat. Not even going off the the scales because they vary from day to day, but just in how I feel. Start off with exercise routines you can handle without feeling like you can't move the next day, and just remember 80% of your results are going to be from what you put in your mouth.

Congrats on making the decision to make a change!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Keep up the good work

I for one know how hard it is to lose weight and keep it off. from 2004-2005 I lost 53 lbs, and dropped to 153 lbs. Unfortunately, a medication I was put on made me find my weight again two months later. Since then I have been having a hard time getting my head into the game again. At that time, I was 38 lbs and was very much easier to lose the weight, now at 48...ick...I lose about 15, and gain it back. Yep its the diet thingy. And yep again I need to get more active. You see, it was both of them that did it for me. I reduced carbs and fats, ate alot of salads, fresh vegs and fruits, drank only water, ate mostly fish, chicken, turkey and eggs for my protein and yep on Sunday, that was the day I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted. On one day a week, let lose and eat what you crave. If you crave a piece of choc cake, go ahead and eat it, tho make it a smaller piece than usual and go buy it at a bakery, that way that little piece is all you have and all you will eat. The exercise, my dear only go to the gym once a day. If you go more you will start to hate it fast and will quit faster than you think. After school, go for a good one hour walk, take a friend with you for company or find someone you know that may want to be a weight loss buddy and go with you...sometimes those little important things help. If you want to tone, do weight lifting.....start out light and work your way up, but when you get there, try to stay under 3 reps of 10 each with 40-50lbs...if you go higher, you will eventually look more like a man than a nicely toned lady.( I have seen 3 women do that exact thing and believe me, it wasn't attractive, one woman, her bf mate said he looked like he was sleeping with a man...she was very manly and yep ugly to boot)...Keep in mind, you can do it, you are young, pretty and strong minded. Small goals are the key. Baby steps. Do not say I will lose 15 lbs this month....it prob won't happen. Keep them small and you won't get so frustrated...and if you lose more than your smaller goal...wow the rush it gave me..and will give you. TC my dear and hope to hear from you on the flip side....huggz
Old 02-17-2014, 04:24 PM
FitDay Member

have you started your journey with good steps? if yes then continue it and if you are thinking then stop thinking and quickly start your steps. don't get any negative feelings. it is the human nature so keep going on and make your health with a fresh start up. you will do it. take some important measures and go to select the option for good diet plan and the exercises for every body parts. this will help you a lot. thank you.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:14 AM
FitDay Member

"I'm 19 years old, ... I weigh 215 pounds. ... I am extremely overweight. I want to lose at least 50 pounds."

Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.-Tony Robbins

Set realistic goals for one week, one month, three months, six months. Record your activity and what you eat, how you feel on FitDay.

Eat whole foods only, eliminate flour, sugar, salt. Drink 8 cups of water, don't eat 3 hours before you go to sleep. Avoid processed foods and take-out. Tell your friends and family your plan, they don't sabotage your goals to lose 50 lbs.

The Fat Burning Zone Myth: Don't Be Fooled - BuiltLean
The Fat Burning Zone Myth: Don’t Be Fooled

"... it’s a scientific fact that you must eat less calories than you burn to lose fat, nutrition has a much more powerful impact on this equation and consequently, it should be your main focus." -Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT

Consult your family doctor, medical professional at clinic at University regarding your weight loss, full stress test, BMI, for recommendations, programs etc.

Eat less, exercise more. I don't recommend diets to lose weight in an unrealistic short timeline.

Find cardio activities you will be challenged and do on a CONSISTENT basis for months. Walking, swimming etc.

Your goal is 23% of your current weight? To burn 1lb of fat you need to burn 3500 calories more than you consume.

Here is a blog of someone who has some interesting recipes and a great story that you might find useful. The Healthy Foodie : Who says eating healthy has to be boring?

Best of luck
Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 PM
FitDay Member

yes off course setting goal is one of the vital task. you can do it so don't desperate yourself. just remember one thing that noting is impossible.