Notices

Binge episodes

Old 01-09-2014, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default Binge episodes

Hi,
I am new to the site and just wanted to share something in hope of support from people who have experienced the same thing.
I have been on a weight loss journey for around 18 months, and have lost nearly 3 stone. I would like to lose a further 1 stone 7 to get me in to a healthy BMI range. However I am struggling with infrequent "binge episodes" whereby around once a week I will get an overwhelming urge for sweet foods, especially chocolate, cakes etc. (all the forbidden fruits)
Although I have always had a sweet tooth, most of the time I am so used to my daily routine that these things to not bother me or even tempt me. However when this urge appears I can not resist temptation and end up feeling terrible after it. I am scared that in time, this will hinder my weight loss and maybe even make me put on all the weight I have lost and more.
I know I am not alone in this, and it is a growing issue in society but was wondering if anyone has any tips or hints to help me fight this overwhelming urge and what other people do when they too experience it?
All answers will be much appreciated.
Best Wishes,
lhak14
Old 01-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Can you 'binge' on a small portion of very dark chocolate cake that also happens to be very high in fiber? Then at the very least you would be getting some good fiber but also feeling 'full' sooner, and having an intense chocolate taste to your 'binge.'
Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

I will try that. Thank you for your advice!

lhak14
Old 02-06-2014, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

Hi!
I've been struggling with the same problem. I spent five years alternating between anorexia and bulimia, and after my second pregnancy, i just started binging with no purging. i ended up gaining 55 pounds. so far ive lost 40 of it but i have been trying to retrain the way i look at food. Binging has been a huge problem for me! I would even wake up in the middle of the night and binge and not remember it in the morning. i did some research and found it could be due to my aspartame consumption as i was drinking alot of diet pepsi. which makes you crave sweets like crazy. so i quit that 2 weeks ago. now im not cravin sweets. at all. im really looking forward to the difference. also ive noticed that if i restrict my calories for too long or too much, even if it is 1200 for too long, i have uncontrollable binges. i feel you on this.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default sugar cravings

Personally I find sugar to be an addiction. When I start I'll eat anything with sugar in it. And then feel awful. Complete abstinence works for me. Allowing myself one small portion just sets the cycle off. When I am abstinent I have NO INTEREST in sugar filled food. At all. Weird I know.

I would look at what starts the craving cycle. The reason for the initial craving will tell you what to do about it. Is it hunger, thirst, an emotion or a trigger food (like aspartame)? You have to figure out what the problem is before you can come up with a strategy.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 AM
FitDay Member

I recommend starting your meals with some sweet fruit. Bananas are a great one for me. They're very dense and sweet and help kill that sweet craving. It also helps fill me up a little before I start a meal, which can keep the calorie consumption per meal down. Mangoes and grapes are also great options.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:23 AM
FitDay Member

I to am having the same problem. I have been watching my eating pretty strictly for the last two years and it seem every weekend lately I binge. Slowly putting weight back on and that is not good. I am hoping however that it is just this long very cold winter here in Michigan. I have only walked 3 times all winter and am so tired of this snow. Hoping things get better for us both.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:29 AM
FitDay Member

That's interesting about the aspartane and being tied to sugar cravings. That makse a lot of sense, actually. I cut out aspartane and diet sodas 6 months or so ago and I have noticed a big decrease in sugar cravings as well.

I still do feel them every once inawhile. When I feel I must have something, I've been having some hot water w/ 1 teaspoon of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. It works for me as a great sweets replacement and it's not too bad for you. If I really am not satisfied, I might have 2 cups ;-)