Notices

I have no idea what I'm doing!~

Old 12-30-2013, 05:59 PM
FitDay Member

Default I have no idea what I'm doing!~

So I haven't been to the gym... ever... I've lifted weights but probably the wrong way. I need to know a basic work out for my first day or any day at the gym. Can I get cardio done at the gym? I don't think this one specifically has a track but it does have a treadmill.

Mind you... the title does absolutely apply here. When you say you want me to do 4 sets of 10 reps of bicep triple curls of death +1... I have no clue what you're talking about. I've looked and looked online and there are a few good places but I just ended up giving up and coming here. I know there are a few work outs I can do at home but I would really like to try the gym.

Please help me. I've been in TaeKwonDo for 18 years of my life so I'm not new to working out but I am definitely out of shape since I haven't done any form of work out in quite a long time.

Push me but don't kill me... My arms are as strong as wet noodles. Perhaps link me to the correct place to learn how to do things right? would going to the gym and jumping on the treamill for 15-20 minutes starting off slow and working my way up to a jog be a good first day?

I really have absolutely no clue which is why I'm turning here for help. Be specific. Link me photos or videos of these workouts. What the hell is a bicep? I know it's a muscle in your arm... I think... but still...

I really appreciate any help. I would like to turn my life around and I really do enjoy working out. I have full access to a 24hour gym now and I want to put this resource to the best use I can!~~
Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Men's Fitness magazine is pretty good (online) to show you some workout routines. But if you have access to a gym, maybe you'll have better information for your age and the shape you're in from one of the trainers who works there.

Just google 'Men's Fitness' to get there.

The idea of gradually increasing speed and distance on the treadmill is a good one. You want cardio as well as resistance.

Good luck!

I'd also check out amazon.com because they have so many books about fitness and training there. If you have a kindle (or an iPad), you can download some free books for Kindle.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 AM
FitDay Member

Kathy gave you some good advice already. The only thing I could add is perhaps it would be wise to get a personal training for a few sessions. Tell he or she upfront that you are very new to strength training and that you are looking to learn about proper form. Ask if they can set up a program for you to follow and after a given amount of time, you could hire them again to check on your progress, double check your form and set up a new program for you...then continue on from there.

If you go the book route, a good book is "The New Rules of Lifteing for Men" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. It's a solid book!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Learn How The Mind And Body Works With The Five Psychological Phases Of Fitness Cop

Whether you are a military special operations soldier, an athlete, or just a regular person seeking to lose weight, all groups experience similar personal obstacles. Those who succeed in their training programs learn to conquer self-doubt. That is the key to fitness!

Every day, excited people join fitness clubs determined to attend classes or workout for an hour a day, five days a week. This exuberance for vitality typically lasts for 10-14 days before self-doubt, sleeping in, and skipping workouts take over. In two short sentences, the first two psychological phases of fitness were described. The five phases of becoming fit are the following:

Excitement and Highly Motivated

Doubt Toward Goals

Conquer Doubt

Total Change in Energy Level / Confidence

Make New Fitness Goal / Challenge

The five phases are used to describe to people how they are going to feel in the near future about starting a fitness program whether as a beginner or as an advanced athlete preparing for Special Forces training. Typically, both the out of shape beginner and the advanced Special Operations candidate develop into their goals through the five phase process.

In Phase One of fitness, a person makes a decision to get healthy, or decide to serve their country as a Special Forces member. This phase takes 2-3 seconds, but it actually takes about 2-3 weeks to replace old, bad habits and to create new habits that will fuel your desire to obtain your goals. Hang in there at least three weeks. It takes 2-3 weeks to BUILD GOOD HABITS. This phase is filled with motivation and a general excitement about fitness and exercise. Statistics show that people who workout in the morning before work are twice as likely to complete the workout compared to those who wait until after work to exercise.

In the Phase Two, doubt enters and can either crush your progress or make you stronger. It is absolutely natural to have doubts about what you are undertaking. My advice is to start doubting as quickly as possible and get over it. Realize self-doubt is part of the process and it will be encountered again throughout your fitness journey. Even SEAL trainees doubt themselves, but those who become SEALs conquer their doubt. Likewise, those who lose 60-80 pounds in a year, conquer their doubt as well.

Phase Three is one of the most exciting phases when you realize you have conquered your doubt. You may reach this phase continually throughout your quest for fitness or Special Forces status, but once you do, you really can do anything you set your mind to. This is where the mind and body connect. Use the workouts to be a catalyst in all areas of your life: work, relationships, school, spirit, financial, and others. I am a firm believer that exercising your body will give you the stamina and energy to exercise your mind, spirit, and achieve those life long dreams you have for yourself.

Phase Four is the total identity change and self-confidence realization period for most people. You now associate yourself with fit and healthy people. Now, you are fit in mind and body. Your example will inspire others. Be a role model to another heavy person or aspiring Special Operations soldier. People will be amazed by your new work ethic at work and play. Eating healthy is now a habit for you too. In fact, eating fast food or unhealthy snacks makes you feel slightly ill. This is because your body will naturally crave healthy foods as you subject yourself to a long-term physical fitness routine.

Phase Five is the next step, but the journey never ends. Set and conquer goals for yourself. Whatever you like – run, swim, bike, weight lift, etc. Challenge yourself to run a 10k, bench press 300 lbs, do a triathlon. The options are unlimited, after all fitness is a journey – not a destination.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much for your motivating words and information on this subject!