View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Hi Tracey, I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I noticed your statement that the support on here is all the counseling you need. The support on here is terrific but it is VERY different from professional counseling. You may have some deep issues that are related to self-esteem and why you became overweight in the first place (many, many of us do), and those can't be resolved just by posts on a message board. I don't know you personally and I can't tell you that you do or don't need counseling, but I just wanted to offer a "professional" opinion that, while this support is out of this world, it is not a substitute for the gains you can make by meeting with a trained therapist. It is like comparing apples to oranges. You have gotten and will continue to get wonderful advice, strategies, and cheering on here; counseling would dig at the emotional root of the problem rather than focusing on day to day. In combination, counseling and support here would likely produce lasting change for you. You are already taking the first step by figuring out the patterns you have that you want to change and you would probably be very successful in therapy. Good luck!

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote