View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
lildebbieg
FitDay Member

Hi all!

baxtman - I love high intensity interval training (HIIT)! Bill Philips didn't invent this type of training, although I know he used it in his Body For Life program. I'm so envious that you can burn 500 calories in only 20 minutes! I suppose that's an advantage being taller than we shorties Great advice on using HIIT to turn it up and bust a set point. I couldn't agree more!

Another great tool for doing HIIT (when not using cardio equipment with a timer on it), is a Gymboss interval timer. You can find them on amazon.com. With the gymboss timer, you set the time and number of intervals. For example, 30 seconds work, 10 seconds rest for 40 rounds. Press the start and it beeps, do your cardio of choice for 30 seconds, it beeps again, you rest for 10 seconds, beeps again and you get back to work. This is a handy little tool to have when you exercise outdoors away from a clock.

Another piece of equipment I can't live without is my Polar heart rate monitor. Again, you can find these on amazon.com. I takes into account your age, gender, how hard your working (heart rate) and gives you an accurate number of calories burned. For me, it's extra motivation to try to beat my personal best and allows me to accurately know how many calories I've burned.

One more thing, even if you don't own any equipment, you can still do HIIT workouts. You can find interval timers for free on the internet or free apps for your iphone (should you be fortunate enough to have one ). The circuits you can create are endless! You just have to think about cardio moves that you like...anything that gets your hear rate up. Here's an example:

10 seconds rest, 30 seconds work for 18 rounds (12 minutes total)

1. jumping jacks (not hard enough? try star jumps)
2. high knees (not hard enough? do high knees with a jump rope)
3. burpees (not hard enough? do burpees with a push up at the bottom and a jump at the top)
4. rear lunges (not hard enough? do jump lunges)
5. squats (not hard enough? do squat jumps)
6. box step ups alternating legs (not hard enough? do box jumps)

repeat these 6 exercises 2 more times for a total of 18 rounds in 12 minutes. Don't forget to push as hard as you can during your 30 seconds work. By the time you hit the 12 minute mark you should be sweating and feel like you had a good workout, so you really have to push yourself.

Can you tell fitness is my passion?

I'll check back in later with my workout of the day.

"Weight loss is like driving: If you ever veer off the road, just make a u-turn and head back in the right direction.."

Highest Weight - 143 lbs (03/Sept/13)
Short Term Goal - 136.6 lbs (31/Oct/14)
Current Weight - 136.4 lbs (10/Oct/14) Back to a healthy BMI!
Goal Weight - 114 lbs (aiming for March 31, 2015!!)
lildebbieg is offline   Reply With Quote